Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Economy woes  (Read 526 times)

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
Economy woes
« on: June 08, 2009, 09:13:06 pm »

I've built a baracks for my military to sleep in.

I keep finding other dwarves sleeping there with thoughts of a lack of a proper room...

Some of them have over 1k dwarfbucks, well in the yellow.

I've got rooms as low as 120, no door, in the low rent district, no chest....  but still "room"
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Economy woes
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 01:29:09 am »

I don't have experience with economies, but I've read that some dwarfs can't (or think they can't) afford any room. If you want to keep dwarfs out of your barracks, set up another common room and that might work. I don't have an economy set up yet, but I do have a barracks and a common room, and non military dwarfs have kept out of the barracks so far. No avoiding the unhappy thoughts though if they're too frugal to rent a room.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 01:53:23 am »

Try simply assigning the dwarfs to a cheap room - see if they stick around.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 05:52:24 am »

once the economy kicks in, you can't assign a dwarf that's not a legendary hero type, or a nob(le), to a room - so one must rely on the dwarf deciding to spend his money (or rather, credit, if you are not making coins) on a room - which dwarfs often decide against.

the second barracks that's not set as a barracks (ie common room) is a good idea. also, that room will be used as a hospital of sorts for injured dwarfs if they don't have a room, so placing it close to a well is a good idea.

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 05:59:30 am »

<read again - oh, right>

Oh - put doors on those low-rent rooms. Make them real rooms. I think that'll fix it.