Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Adventurer Skills Not in Next Release???  (Read 2408 times)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer Skills Not in Next Release???
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 10:05:57 am »

Or better yet, build a glacier out of magma.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 10:18:14 am »

By smelting individual rocks... in a wood burning furnace.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 10:59:35 am »

It occurs to me that adding adventurer skills with much detail would be a good opportunity to introduce the elements (eg tools, workbenches, furnaces) that could ultimately be used for generic workshops.
It might be a bit unnecessary, though.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 03:19:42 pm »

yeah, it would be nice to "build your own workshop."

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 07:51:21 pm »

I hope that one day fortress and adventure mode turn into one mode. Go do a few quests gathering wealth and fame, then have the king ask you to start a new mountain home. Go recruit some helpers, load up a wagon and travel out to a nice site and start building your fortress as one of the dwarves or switch over to omnipresent mode and control everyone like in fortress mode now.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 08:41:17 pm »

I hope that one day fortress and adventure mode turn into one mode. Go do a few quests gathering wealth and fame, then have the king ask you to start a new mountain home. Go recruit some helpers, load up a wagon and travel out to a nice site and start building your fortress as one of the dwarves or switch over to omnipresent mode and control everyone like in fortress mode now.
The main problem I can think of is timescales.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 05:36:29 pm »

The main problem I can think of is timescales.

This would necessitate giving you the almighty wagon.  The player can NOT be given something of godly power.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2009, 01:12:54 am »

The wagon has been scuttled.

Why in the hell is there a wagon listed under 'u'nits as deceased? :D

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2009, 05:28:40 am »

Don't forget that the only thing able to defeat a wagon is a tree growing under it.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2009, 07:53:45 am »

Or the dreaded ocean waves! Which, IMO, is a bug that needs fixing.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 11:02:22 am by Byakugan01 »
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2009, 11:07:47 pm »

Don't forget that the only thing able to defeat a wagon is a tree growing under it.

getting swept by fast flowing shallow water into walls kills them. as does falling from high places, getting caught in caveins, or somehow pathing over a section of wall just as a dwarf builds it. they can also be set on fire. their front section sortof pokes through into the ground when they go up ramps, so if there is magma on the other side they catch fire.

the fast flowing water thing is silly, i had an empty lake with sloped sides which drained into some underground passages, and a wagon decided to go through it just as i let water in. it got washed into the passages then stuck in a wall, then died when i tried to dig it out. i experimented with this sort of stuff in my trade depo and flowing water pushes them around and gets them stuck in things, which when the thing they are stuck in gets removed cases them to be scuttled. and wagons show up as dead units because they are a unit. there was something on the DF wiki bugs section about someone finding a legendary wagon in the legands screen.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2009, 01:36:08 am »

This is an exceptionally well designed image of a ash wagon and a kobold. The wagon is laughing, the kobold is cowering.  This image refers to the trampling of the kobold Jibberjappericus by the ash wagon Tramplebattersmashicus, the Wheels of Spinning Delightfulness in the year 204 in Splattergems.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2009, 06:05:26 am »

It would be nice to be able to create your own "base" in adventure mode - so build your own house complete with weapons, traps, minions etc.  Or you could just deconstruct human houses to collapse the rooves on their heads.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2009, 08:14:52 am »

i want the adventure house thing as well. if you cant build one yourself, even being able to buy a house in a town with all your loot and fill it with furniture and boxes full of coins would be nice. i want somewhere to store all my elf skulls as well, just so i can keep count. with adventure skills i could make them into totems and perhaps decorate the place with them. or maybe pay a craftsmen to do it for me.

having something to do with the money and titles you get would be really nice. things like a player owned shop, does not need to have a good economy simulation, just invest money in it and it gives a small return. same with player owned farms/brewerys. being able to get ahold of steel or leather, and pay a craftsmen to make better gear for you, or even to decorate the gear you have would be great.

also, i would love intercity trade as a way of getting money and influence. there was some japanese roguelike in the general forums a while back, i forget the name, but there was a large number of quests along the lines of "courier these items in this time period to this city", as well as trade goods with different prices which you could buy and sell yourself. this really reminded me of great old games like elite, and the wing commander: privateer, both of which were space sims with a big trade component. it was amazingly addictive buying up food goods from farming worlds, then selling them at mining colonies for raw materials, then selling them at a manufacturing world for luxury goods...

i think a lot of that stuff, sans perhaps the player owned shops/businesses, would be great. there are items on trade in the dev notes, but only in the very far future goals, aparently once a working economy is in. i would really love to see it go in sooner, it doesnt need a working economy to be fun. the roguelike i mentioned and all the space trader sims did not have a real functioning economy, they just pretended enough to be convincing. there are also devnotes on hiring yourself on as a wagon guard. thats another thing that ties in with trade nicely, and would be great to see.

so yeah, adventure mode. its going to get more and more awesome, and hopefully there will be some more stuff added in the release after this one.

Eris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2009, 06:49:49 pm »

Here's what he's said on the forums.  If you're as curious as you say, you'll find some interesting tidbits.

Armok 1 notes on magic and the supernatural.  Some of those ideas are doubtless still relevant.

And of course, there's discussion of magic in the dev notes, and you can probably infer some possibilities from ThreeToe's stories as well.
I read all that and my eyes are burning. This didn't help:
random poem generator
Pages: 1 [2]