Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible to replenish a magma pool by dumping rock into it?  (Read 606 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The reason I'm asking is because I'm on a map which showed the magma pipe/pool as bieng a pipe, but when I used reveal to check for sure about its location (didn't want to accidentially dig down right on top of it) I saw that it only goes to about level -10 or something. It may have really been a magma pool symbol though and plus there is an obsidian cavern floor on the bottom of it. Anyways, while I'm not worried too much about running out of magma since it's pretty big, I'm just curious if it's even possible to replenish it in a way.

Since magma/lava is molten rock, logically, dumping rock into it should replenish it.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to replenish a magma pool by dumping rock into it?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 04:04:34 pm »

AFAIK magma pipes (not pools!) seem to replenish themselves gradually over time
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 04:05:39 pm »

Actually, the logical way would be to heat it up... Throwing rocks in would IRL lower the temperature of the lava overall, thus actually reducing the amount of it.

I don't think throwing rock in replenishes it though. Otherwise my magma dump site would be overflowing by now.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 04:09:32 pm »

Yea, but there isn't any other magma source nearby. You're right about the magma dump  site thing however.

I'll have to be careful setting up my magma forges as there is a fire man and a magma man in there, but I haven't had any problems with the method I use to prevent them from getting into my forging area. It's capped by a layer of sand btw, so no danger in them setting the world on fire or anything. Although kind of hard to do so in a desert.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 04:27:38 pm »

When you melt a stone you get a liquid stone - you can see it in your z-stocks menu, so it certainly doesn't "mix in" with the magma.

Whether or not it displaces any volume?... I sincerely doubt it, butcha never know. 

Dump in a few hundred, let us know how it works out.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 05:49:45 pm »

Currently adding objects to a square has no impact on how much of a liquid is inside of it. Dropping stone in a 3/7 tile of water won't raise it to 4/7, nor will dissolving an entire fortress worth of stone increase the volume of a magma pool to my knowledge.

Be careful with your magma I guess. Build your forges on the lowest layer you can access, and use fortifications or magma-proof grates to just lock the fire and magma men out.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 06:07:50 pm »

The whole thing goes from layer -2 (the top of the chamber anyway) to layer -6 or -7. I plan on having my magma forges on layer -4 (the first two subterranean layers are sand/soil, the third is where my workshops are and stuff, I'm on a completely flat map) and the magma access will be level -5 obviously. So there is alot of volume to work with and it has a pretty wide level -3 section. It's more like the upper half of a magma pipe with similar volume.

I use at least two sets of fortifications, the magma channeling room I just immediately wall off when the miners finish and exit the room.