Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: brainstorming about blocks  (Read 527 times)

ac31

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
brainstorming about blocks
« on: June 10, 2009, 01:34:49 am »

is there ANY discernible difference between raw stone and stone blocks

that is: is there any disadvantage to simply putting masons workshops on make stone block R. apart from the wasted labour. e.g, carved blocks cant be used for smelter reactions (flux stone)

coz otherwise im gonna just set a masons shop or 2 to constant block carving, for when i dont need furniture so i can lvl up masonry skill
Just wondering if it would be possible (however unwise) to make demons a civilisation
I don't see any reason they couldn't be. What would happen if they breached the HFS?
Horrors! Annoying relatives in the deep!

Llamiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: brainstorming about blocks
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 01:40:07 am »

I know that blocks can't be used to make furniture, but really theres always enough stone that that shouldn't be a problem. I usually have a massive block-making gulag set up for immigrants so that if one of em gets moody then at least he won't head for the craftshop.
It's a shame that wagons explode at the sight of dreaded sea foam.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 01:46:36 am »

No rock crafts, either. Or mechanisms.

And you can't fire blocks from catapults. Or use them in stonefall traps.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

ac31

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 01:50:01 am »

dang  :(

damn 23a doesnt let me specify which blocks to be carved

welp, ill set up a smelter instead, make bridges from metal

wood is only for temporary bridges
Just wondering if it would be possible (however unwise) to make demons a civilisation
I don't see any reason they couldn't be. What would happen if they breached the HFS?
Horrors! Annoying relatives in the deep!

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 02:04:07 am »

Blocks can be put in bins and are thus easier to move and store. I THINK that using blocks may produce a higher-value construction, but I'm not sure at all on that. Also, rough rock makes "rough roads," while blocks make smooth roads, which in my opinion look much nicer.

Last but not least, since stone is so plentiful that it's not really feasible to ever run out on a non-aquifer map, having your masons constantly churn them out raises skill. It's also a good way to train your noob masons, because blocks have no quality levels so the noobs aren't wasting any materials.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 04:13:09 am »

Walls and other basic constructions made from blocks will be smooth instead of rough and will have higher value. Blocks are easier to store and handle, and they are a good skill trainer. But if you are not building anything then blocks are effectively wasted stone.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 05:37:13 am »

Blocks do have a higher value in construction than rough rock according to the wiki, and it is a good way to train up masons. Me though, I set my glassmakers to make green glass blocks. High value, looks good, cheaper to make (on magma, at least), and glass can make most everything a non-obsidian/non-economic rock can.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 06:33:53 am »

Blocks do have a higher value in construction than rough rock according to the wiki, and it is a good way to train up masons. Me though, I set my glassmakers to make green glass blocks. High value, looks good, cheaper to make (on magma, at least), and glass can make most everything a non-obsidian/non-economic rock can.

Wouldn't it be better to set them to Raw Green Glass R? Then you could also train your gem cutters up to legendary, resulting in more and higher quality large gems, resulting in more wealth resulting in more FUN...
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 08:13:13 am »

(It would be better to have a fortress made entirely from adamantine and diamonds - but that's not the OP's question.)

As an object, a stone has a base value (multiplied by material) of 3, while a block has a base value of 5.  So you're increasing the value of any and all constructions (from bridges to walls to workshops) by +66%.  And while blocks don't have quality multipliers, many constructions and buildings do.

Stones also weigh about 20% more than blocks, which only gets significant with truly dense ores like platinum and gold, where low-strength haulers really struggle. (See matgloss re SOLID_DENSITY).  Oddly, Galena (lead ore) is not among the few truly heavy ones - dunno.

coz otherwise im gonna just set a masons shop or 2 to constant block carving, for when i dont need furniture so i can lvl up masonry skill

That's a common approach.