Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dark Fortress  (Read 588 times)

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dark Fortress
« on: June 07, 2009, 10:22:11 am »

Whenever I embark onto a dark fortress, it always is friendly towards me, even orcan dark fortresses. Is this just really bad luck or is it impossible to embark on an enemy fortress? I really want to enter a battle right away.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
Re: Dark Fortress
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 10:24:03 am »

*rubs eyes*. I misread that topic title of yours... Baaaadly.
Regardless. Bad luck, I think. Usually when I embark on Dark Fortresses, I get instant fun.
On a related note, are you sure the fortresses were not taken over by a friendly civ, like humans? My humans usually have a few Dark Fortresses with goblins as their slaves.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 10:27:43 am »

This is a known bug; some evidence suggests that if you hang around long enough until you're besieged the inhabitants of the tower will turn against you.

Assuming you're in a d version, the inhabitants of any town\tower\village etc you embark on will, by default, be friendly.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 10:31:19 am »

thats not true at all.  theres multiple threads on this, and you can prove it out through experimentation.  anywhere you embark, be it dark fortress or human town or elf retreat, the inhabitants will be friendly.

they will even DEFEND you and FIGHT INVADERS if their own people attack.  seen it.

several versions ago it was possible to embark on a dark tower and get instant fun.  not now.  it will probably be fixed in another version.  I think you can still embark on caves to get instant fun, but i never remember to turn cave locations on in the world-gen settings.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 10:34:07 am »

Some people have reported that when they embarked on a normally hostile enemy city that the inhabitants turned hostile when the first siege from that civ turned up (Embark on an Orc Tower, when the Orcs from that tower turn up to siege you the Orcs in the tower turn hostile.)

Evidence at the moment is sketchy at best however.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 10:38:53 am »

I have an interesting not to add to this: A human civ had captured a Dark Fortress, but it was inhabited entirely by goblins. I embarked there, to find them friendly. I was disappointed, and left. Later, I came back with an adventurer, to find the starting 7 were not only still there, they were fighting the goblins. I decided to test my theory once again, and Reclaimed the site, bringing in an extra 70 Dwarves, all military. I abandoned, and sent another Reclaim party to watch.

It was a slaughter, the 77 Dwarves were now taking the tower floor by floor from the goblins, only losing 7 in the process. The goblins actually ran out into the forest to escape their wrath. Now every month or so I get word of a few goblins getting killed by Dwarves, and vice versa.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.