Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question: How to Properly Retrieve From Abandoned Fortress?  (Read 951 times)

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The one thing I hate about abandoning my fortress is how every item gets toss around in a fairly random way, with the most valuable being tossed into the deepest part of the fort. I end up spending way longer than I like sifting through cloth bins and clothing than I like.

Any tips on being efficient fortress scavengers?

Here's a few things I've noticed with scavenging.

The "Deepest" part of the fort can be outside the fort. I've built a tower outside the fort itself, and it ended up being the deepest part at its top.

Other races that are at your fort at the time of abandon live in the fort. I've had elves settle in my fort before.

The game really likes hiding the good stuff under piles of crap.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question: How to Properly Retrieve From Abandoned Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 10:50:18 pm »

Would it work to build a 'coffer' room in fortress mode that is extremely deep down, then when you abandon all of the best stuff gets sent there? That way you could just head down to the coffer and pick your pick. Maybe.

Probably wouldn't work would it..

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 10:54:03 pm »

The deep room might work.

Oh, also, how the hell do I open floor hatches?

Doors can be picked or forced open, but I can't interact with hatches at all.

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 11:27:47 pm »

I was under the impression that stuff just got randomly placed within your fortress but the the same level, so things wouldn't jump z levels. I've only visited a few of my fortresses so I could be very wrong.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 01:21:12 am »

No answer yet? Really?

Put what you want to salvage in a bin, and weigh it down with other items as much as you can.

The lighter an object is, the farther it will scatter, so a bin full of items will not go anywhere.
Artifact items will also only be salvageable in a bin.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 01:59:45 am »

Generally I would say a fort that is older then 3 years and did not have very very strict dumping policy is not vist-able without "HYPER" lag. Especially if you have some kind of pumping mechanic that had a river running though the fort.

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 09:35:45 am »

I was under the impression that stuff just got randomly placed within your fortress but the the same level, so things wouldn't jump z levels. I've only visited a few of my fortresses so I could be very wrong.

Stuff will shift Z-levels as well.

You could equip the item on a dwarf and let him go mad.  If he keeps it on him,  I think it'll still be on his corpse when you get there,  or he can OCCASSIONALLY still be alive (but crazy).

In fortress reclaim mode,  items in wagons do not scatter  on embark.  If  you can find a way to trade the item to a merchant then lock their wagon in,  that might work.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 03:13:48 pm »

I believe that metal bins and barrels won't move, so if you put the best stuff in metal bins in a treasure room, it should be easy to find.  I think that items stored in buildings will also be saved, including the trade depot, but I'm not sure about that.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 03:18:24 pm »

Nah, the trade depot trick no longer works. It's all about the bin.

Artifacts that have been 'b'uilt will stay in place, but since adventurers can't remove buildings, they'll stay there for good.