Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Forest Retreats and effects on forests  (Read 619 times)

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Forest Retreats and effects on forests
« on: June 05, 2009, 04:10:08 pm »

I tried for genning a world for 10000 years in a large world, thinking my computer could handle it. But when it was taking over 850 MB in memory and each year took two minutes, I gave up. But what I did see was a fairly interesting world, so I saved the seeds. Elves may be eradicated by the year 1500, replaced by human and dwarven forest retreats. Only two clusters of elves left in the world. Also nice pockets of isolation. Dwarven civ in one pocket and lonely after killing the Bronze Colossus in year 10 (maybe kobolds there as well, don't appear in civ list), and in the early years, there's a pocket with dwarves, elves and goblins, but elves die around year 150. Then there's the large body of civs, which has them all.

But as for the topic, I decided to run again for 500 years and see it step by step, and I noticed this:

All those encircled are dwarven forests retreats. Do you notice the utter lack of forest around it? Is it a known feature or something? The hill and swamp do not get their own names, but it is still called "The Euphoric Jungle". I scrolled over to where humans were at war with the elves, they're also guilty of this.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 05:22:22 pm by elizar »
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Forest Retreats and effects on forests
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 05:26:47 pm »

Upload picture? :p
But sound pretty interesting, damn dirty elves...
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 07:15:10 pm »

Wait, I see the picture perfectly fine on two different computers at home.

http://www.vip.is/mad_man/images/dwarvenforestretreats.gif here's a direct url anyway.

But yeah, damned elves. I wonder what results I'll get with the orc mode. Especially with those nicely sized pockets of isolation.

As for complete map, that's going to wait. I had a nemesis so I'm regenning to 2000 years. I want those hippies to die!
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 01:11:51 am »

The tree thing is pretty well known. The dwarves, humans, and goblins cut down a wide radius of trees, as you'd expect them to.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.