Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Random crashes -- is it just me?  (Read 521 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Random crashes -- is it just me?
« on: June 08, 2009, 08:43:43 pm »

For the past several months I've had problems with random crashes in my forts. I reported this, but it didn't get much traction. Is anyone else having this issue? From the crash logs, DF is hitting a null pointer exception of some kind:

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes:      KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000003

As you can imagine, this gets pretty frustrating. Usually I can go about a year and a half before the game starts crashing, then sometimes it'll crash, and sometimes it won't. I can kinda-sorta keep playing the game if I don't mind saving obsessively and risking losing the last fifteen-twenty minutes of work at random.

I'm running MacOS X 10.4.11 on a three-year-old iMac. DF itself is 0.28.181.40d11. I've tried reinstalling DF, using plain 40d and 40d11. I get the crashes with and without mods. Nothing seems to have any effect. I'd appreciate it if someone were willing to download either my most recent save (made with Legendary Lands mod installed) (oh, and check out the well in the dining room) or the entire app directory and see if they also get crashes.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels