Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My 2nd fortress!  (Read 720 times)

Kamrusepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My 2nd fortress!
« on: June 06, 2009, 06:42:02 pm »

Yay, my first real fortress! well, my first fortress died within 2 hours so that doesnt really count.
Could people please view my map (below) and give me any pointers, suggestions and tips. Also english isnt my mother tongue so forgive me for any grammer and spelling mistakes :)

http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-5992-puzzlepapers
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 06:49:28 pm by Kamrusepas »

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My second fortress!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 06:49:55 pm »

Well, my internet is being argumentative(otherwise I'd be happy to look at your map).  What I can say is that there are some nice tutorials on this forum and the wiki.  You should check them out.

I'll come back and help more when my computer and internet start being more cooperative.  Feel free to ask any and all questions as most users will be happy to help you out.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
Re: My second fortress!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 06:52:56 pm »

Remove the walls in between your workshops, remove the walls separating your various storage piles and create more entrances for both.
Corridors to your housing are too narrow for my blood, the dwarves could easily get clogged if too many people wish to sleep at once.
otherwise that's about it.

Samus1111111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My 2nd fortress!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 06:56:09 pm »

pretty nice layout, but remember one thing. To get things done in the quickest way, stockpiles should be near the workshops that use/produce the objects. Also, it is quicker for the dwarves to get to the stockpile if it is directly below the workshop. Vertical is the quickest way for dwarves to travel.

Also, I couldn't even tell that English wasn't your first language :)

Kamrusepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 06:58:01 pm »

Well, my internet is being argumentative(otherwise I'd be happy to look at your map).  What I can say is that there are some nice tutorials on this forum and the wiki.  You should check them out.

I have, thats why im posting here; to see if I followed them correctly and havent missed anything.

Remove the walls in between your workshops, remove the walls separating your various storage piles and create more entrances for both.

but that would destory the jigsaw type style thats going on, but ill try that.

pretty nice layout, but remember one thing. To get things done in the quickest way, stockpiles should be near the workshops that use/produce the objects. Also, it is quicker for the dwarves to get to the stockpile if it is directly below the workshop. Vertical is the quickest way for dwarves to travel.

Also, I couldn't even tell that English wasn't your first language :)

So build workshops directly over stockpiles and build a staircase down/up?

---
Thanks people :)

Samus1111111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 07:07:25 pm »

So build workshops directly over stockpiles and build a staircase down/up?

exactly

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 07:53:03 pm »

Also, remember that you can build down as well as out.  What you do for workshops/stockpiles goes for bedrooms as well.  3 stairs up/down is the same as 3 spaces out flat.  Maybe 3 isn't such a large number, but 15 is.  Same principle.  And build out in all directions as well, rather than having a looooong bedroom hall going south.  Look at 'bedroom design' in the wiki, there are some cool patterns that work well for getting dwarves to bed and back.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 08:45:10 pm »

Well really, the only correct way to build a fort is the way you want to build them, others advice will only destroy whatever originality your hand brings to the game.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 08:52:09 pm »

Well really, the only correct way to build a fort is the way you want to build them, others advice will only destroy whatever originality your hand brings to the game.

While that's very true, there is a such thing as good and bad design.  This causes things like efficiency to be affected.  That is, take everything with a grain of salt, but consider the positive and negative consequences of any given action.  Design issues are hard to fix later and are worth careful consideration.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 09:10:58 pm »

Heh, this looks a lot like my early fortresses. A hole in the ground in a forest, with far too much stuff dug into the soil layer, all of it dug entirely around a central staircase.

Brings back memories.

Anyways, you have lots of unmined space, so I'd use that to do some cool looking multilevel architectural stuff, just for fun. Like a giant temple to whatever gods your dwarves worship with giant columns that extend across z-levels. And anything else you can think of.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 10:25:58 pm »

Some tips:

I recommend devoting a floor for housing about 5 levels below your workshops. Otherwise the dwarfs will complain about noisy bedrooms. Even though it's only 5 squares to walk, it insulates sound well.

A storage floor is best to have ABOVE your workshops to leave room for magma below to power magma forges (if you're lucky enough to find enough magma).

To prevent cave adaption, I'd set up your dining room with a glass ceiling, letting in sunlight. Of course you need sand to do this. If you have no sand, make a zoo or statue park in the light.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 10:49:54 pm »

I recommend devoting a floor for housing about 5 levels below your workshops. Otherwise the dwarfs will complain about noisy bedrooms. Even though it's only 5 squares to walk, it insulates sound well.

Be careful with the noise thing.  I haven't experienced significant problems with it, but the wiki states that noise travels up to 16 squares in any direction.

Freaky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 11:18:53 pm »

To prevent cave adaption, I'd set up your dining room with a glass ceiling, letting in sunlight. Of course you need sand to do this. If you have no sand, make a zoo or statue park in the light.

I'm under the impression it's inside/outside which determines that, not dark/light.  So yes, outside statue garden or so.  One of these cured most of my dwarves of cave adaption within a few years.

Note there's nothing special about glass flooring; you can make your floors out of rock and below them will still be classified as "light".