Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drawing weapons  (Read 898 times)

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
Drawing weapons
« on: June 02, 2009, 05:04:19 pm »

A rather simple suggestion:

When (if) scabbards are implemented, there should be a (probably hidden) skill for drawing the weapon, most likely separate from the weapon skill itself. This would reduce the time between being unarmed and being armed.

I'd imagine that the transitional time would have massive combat deficits, and that skill would only be one of many factors in the transition time.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Drawing weapons
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 06:12:06 pm »

I imagine draw time would be directly related to weapon skill.  The more often you use it, the more often you draw it, the better you get at drawing it.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 06:19:34 pm »

I always liked the way Shadowrun handled drawing weapons.

You have 5 free actions in a turn.  A simple action is the same as 2 free actions.  A complex action is the same as 5 free actions.  Various tasks are rated at different levels.  Drawing a gun is a simple action, but you can perform a quickdraw roll for weapons with a high enough concealability rating and reduce drawing your weapon to a free action.  Also, certain skills would either guarantee you a quickdraw on small arms, or give you an opportunity to quickdraw ridiculous weapons.  Being able to quickdraw a psitol or an SMG would mean the difference between making one shot in a combat phase or two shots.

I know that DF and SR are completely different gaming systems, but a similar concept could apply.  A higher skill rating for a certain weapon would decrease the chance between your dwarf losing a combat turn (or part of one) by drawing a weapon, or being able to instantly quickdraw it and take no penalty.
Computer says 'No'.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 08:11:09 pm »

Iajitsu?

I'm pretty sure we have a much finer-grained system than "combat turns", though. A thousand ticks per action without agility-ups, yes?

...Do we have faster and slower actions yet?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 08:59:34 pm »

currently you wait your raw speed/100 in turns between actions.

a simpler action could reduce your speed for the next turn. say draw a weapon = speed/2.

say you have speed 1000, then you'd wait 10 rounds between actions. drawing a weapon would ake a full action, but you would only wait 1000/100/2= 5 rounds to get to use it.
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 09:00:13 pm »

...Do we have faster and slower actions yet?

Yes, very much so.  It's pretty easy to observe in adventure mode -- the fire-reload cycle for a ranged weapon takes much longer at lower skill levels, stuff like that.

There's also a time penalty for the action of placing items in your backpack, and possibly a shorter time penalty for removing them.  Most of the groundwork is in place, in any case, so this would be a nice touch.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 09:06:29 pm by Footkerchief »

chucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 10:20:52 pm »

I'm pretty sure we have a much finer-grained system than "combat turns", though. A thousand ticks per action without agility-ups, yes?

Oh, no doubt about that.  The length of time available to argue and bicker over roles and outcomes in a tabletop with a DM is ___way___ less efficient that running a computer simulation.  My point was to say that a combination of agility attribute and weapon skill should factor into the width and center of the randomization band for drawing a weapon quickly or not.
Computer says 'No'.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 09:00:48 am »

The reason I wanted the drawing skill to be separate is pretty simple. If I go around and spar with friends, I won't necessarily learn how to draw my weapon quickly. If I learn to draw quickly, it doesn't mean that I'm good at fighting with the weapon.

However, rolling this into weapon skill isn't an absolutely horrid idea. Just not the best one, IMO.

A shadow-run-esque system would work fine, too.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 04:53:35 pm »

It would really just be arbitrary attention to detail, really.  Every weapon has different kinds of holsters (just about) and those with similar holsters might varying sharpness.  So that would be one new skill for each weapon that we would rarely get the opportunity to train properly (sparring more common than battles).
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 10:40:13 pm »

Maybe. But I'd like to see things like wild-west style face-offs, or making ambushes in cities a whole lot more interesting.

chucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 11:37:45 pm »

Something along that line of thought would require the game to track which direction a unit is facing.  I'm not sure that it does currently, but I would like to be able to have characters be sliced, dices, maced, and shot in the back.
Computer says 'No'.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 11:40:55 pm »

Which is an ongoing point of discussion about armed combat. Directionality isn't a problem, but representing it is.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 11:51:25 pm »

Something along that line of thought would require the game to track which direction a unit is facing.  I'm not sure that it does currently, but I would like to be able to have characters be sliced, dices, maced, and shot in the back.

It does in a somewhat haphazard way.  Creatures have a facing while they're in the act of attacking (at least sometimes, not sure on the particulars), and during that time they can be attacked from behind.  It shows up in Adv. Mode combat reports.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 04:58:24 pm »

Which is an ongoing point of discussion about armed combat. Directionality isn't a problem, but representing it is.

Draw a small arrow on the side of the sprite?