Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quality Naming  (Read 542 times)

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quality Naming
« on: June 06, 2009, 10:31:05 pm »

It seems that items only have ratings of goodness and not poorness.  How is it that a complete newbie to anything can create a standard enormous corkscrew? Perhaps the lowest quality should have the modifier "Poorly designed" and the one up should be "Sub-standard".

As an aside, perhaps a newbie at a given profession shouldn't be able to make everything that profession can make until they get more experience, but I think that one has been touched on before.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Quality Naming
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 11:22:34 pm »

Well-crafted is the + around the item name, right?  I always think of anything less than "well-crafted" as poor.  I mean, if it's the standard quality, then that means it should be better than what the new guys are doing, in other words, well-crafted.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 11:27:53 pm »

Yeah, that's my assumption as well -- lesser quality levels are "barely functional", not "standard quality".

There's a recent thread on unlocking more complex items as the worker gains skill.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 11:35:55 pm »

It'd be even sweeter if instead of distinct qualifiers, we had adjectives unique to the particular item, such as complimenting the hilt or blade of a sword.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 12:59:32 am »

Well, this post and this one should have been made here then.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 03:54:16 am »

Brian, I agree with you completely, but you should probably know that it's a very controversial subject
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To hopefully fend off any derailment of the thread, I'd just like to suggest that we get the option to mod in additional quality levels--including, if we wish, degrees of poor quality.

However, with the new update coming, it may be that system is outmoded, so it might be wise to wait and see what presents show up under the tree, before we figure out how we want to play with them.
For they would be your masters.

Joakim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 08:08:25 am »

I always imagined it as very, very rude for a dwarf to call someone else's work sub-standard, poor or whatever. It's simply not done!

Therefore they say "Your enormous corkskrew is... standard. yeah, totally like any other enormous corkscrew out there."

But it's still weird that a newbie can make a functioning corkscrew in the first place. :)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 05:05:23 pm »

Yeah, that might be a good case for a trap component weapon that could only be manufactured by more skilled craftsdwarfs.
For they would be your masters.