Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Some sort of garbage incinerator (non-magma) and recycling.  (Read 3986 times)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Re: Some sort of garbage incinerator (non-magma) and recycling.
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 04:18:03 pm »

A garbage incinerator seems very dwarfly. I like it.

But recycling seems more of something that those eco-conscious Elven bastards would think of.

I imagine that it would be some kind of furnace...?
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 11:49:12 am »

How does char cloth compare to charcoal? Google fails me.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 12:18:14 pm »

How does char cloth compare to charcoal? Google fails me.

Cotton burns at about 500 degrees. You can't even melt copper with that, let alone smelt ores. You could however fire up a stove using socks and whatnot

Sunken

• Bay Watcher
  • Wabewalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 01:30:02 pm »

As for magma smelters, perhaps you could use the heat from the magma and the carbon in rubbish as the reducing agent...

What about coke and other carbonaceous minerals?
Alpha version? More like elf aversion!

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 01:13:29 am »

Cotton burns at about 500 degrees. You can't even melt copper with that, let alone smelt ores. You could however fire up a stove using socks and whatnot

Aye, but charcoal burns 2-4 times hotter than the wood it's make from, so I'm wondering if you can get a similar increase by turning cloth to charcloth befor burning it.

You'd prolly end up with, say, a "Turn 10 plant fiber cloth into 1 charcoal" reaction, if it's somewhat plausible. Maybe more - some used to fuel the fire, the rest charred. Or just do the smelter recycling fractions-of-a-bar thing.

Also, another use for burning cloth(if making charcoal won't work) might be in refining mined coal.

And wood objects should be convertible into charcoal at, if not 1:1, than a ratio approaching it. At worst, smelter ratios for melting metal. A good use for all those useless wooden crafts and Large armour items the Elven Lumberjack Mafia trys to pawn off on you, then leave littered about when they commit (assisted )suicide.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 04:49:27 am »

As for magma smelters, perhaps you could use the heat from the magma and the carbon in rubbish as the reducing agent...

No. The smelters are shamelessly video gamey. If Toady likes that, it's fine. Smelting iron ore must require coal regardless

What about coke and other carbonaceous minerals?

They replaced charcoal due to quantity alone, something which the game fails to reflect

Aye, but charcoal burns 2-4 times hotter than the wood it's make from, so I'm wondering if you can get a similar increase by turning cloth to charcloth befor burning it.

You'd prolly end up with, say, a "Turn 10 plant fiber cloth into 1 charcoal" reaction, if it's somewhat plausible. Maybe more - some used to fuel the fire, the rest charred. Or just do the smelter recycling fractions-of-a-bar thing.

Yeah, you'd end up with char cloth, a magnificent tinder. However, it is not a fucking industrial fuel source. Cut the crap and face facts. You might as well be powering the forges with farts

Only ways to solve this are lumberjack camps that ship out charcoal, the ability to buy charcoal and coke in meaningful amounts, smarter fuel use, realistic handling of ore veins in general and smaller material unit sizes. Batch melting in particular would reduce coal requirements

I can't help but to notice gems and other crap are left in the items as they are melted

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2009, 08:15:07 am »

why not just dump it all in a big heap and set fire to it,gives you ash based on the Material size of the items
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2009, 02:19:34 pm »

Yeah, you'd end up with char cloth, a magnificent tinder. However, it is not a fucking industrial fuel source.

I'm just saying if you have alot of it, you should be able to get a little charcoal-analog. Say, if you set up large pigtail farms on a no-tree(maybe even no-trade) map, or have a ton of elf-imported cloth, or just a bazillion gobbo thongs.

Something like 25 cloth -> 1 charcoal seems more than reasonable, given existing abstractions.

Cut the crap and face facts. You might as well be powering the forges with farts

This is funny, because farms with lots of animals - less than 300 even - have been generating electricity from "Cow Farts" for - and this is only the first appropriate hit from google - more than half a decade.  :P

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2009, 04:32:28 pm »

I'm just saying if you have alot of it, you should be able to get a little charcoal-analog. Say, if you set up large pigtail farms on a no-tree(maybe even no-trade) map, or have a ton of elf-imported cloth, or just a bazillion gobbo thongs.

For that effort, you could farm trees. This idea is just completely worthless

why not just dump it all in a big heap and set fire to it,gives you ash based on the Material size of the items

"Ash" refers to wood ash. Ash from grass and whatnot is useless

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2009, 07:12:33 pm »

For that effort, you could farm trees. This idea is just completely worthless

And if you don't have an underground river, and are on a no-tree map(or want to abandon the surface like a good dwarf), that's not an option.
Pages: 1 [2]