Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What else grows around sliver barb?  (Read 1200 times)

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What else grows around sliver barb?
« on: June 02, 2009, 12:30:42 pm »

I've swept the ground clean on two forts looking for Sliver Barb, and I'm starting to wonder if I'm looking in the right place.

I've had an embark with evil regions as part of the map both times, but all I've had is longland grass, wild strawberries, prickle berry, and hide root.  Is this what usually grows in the same regions where people find sliver barb?
Quote from: Dornbeast
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: What else grows around sliver barb?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 12:38:29 pm »

WIKI!

Try "surroundings"

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 12:48:39 pm »

WIKI!

Try "surroundings"

I tried the wiki.  According to the crop descriptions, I should be in the right place - above ground, dry, non-freezing applies to all the plants I find, just as it does to sliver barb, and I'm in an evil region.  (It's only sinister, but nothing is mentioned about a specific quality of evil.)

So, either I have a horrible string of luck, or I'm not looking in the right place in spite of basing my search pattern on the wiki.

The wiki is not guaranteed to be correct.  I proved that last week, and fixed the part that was wrong.

So I'm looking for real results, from people with experience in the matter.  If I find that the wiki is lacking, I'll make changes.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 12:58:12 pm by dornbeast »
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 01:02:14 pm »

I didn't say "crops".

It's not that hard.  Really, it isn't.

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Surroundings#Distinctive_flora_.26_fauna_2

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 01:13:34 pm »

I didn't say "crops".

It's not that hard.  Really, it isn't.

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Surroundings#Distinctive_flora_.26_fauna_2

Okay, perhaps you could explain your point.

I was in a region with harpies.  There wasn't any sliver barb showing up after I swept the map for plants, but I had tons of other crops as I already mentioned.  No kobold bulb, but that's not supposed to grow outside of marshy areas.  Sliver barb has no such notation in the wiki.

I'm not asking, "where is sliver barb supposed to grow?"  I'm asking what's found around it.

And that means that if sliver barb isn't found in regions that also produce wild strawberries, longland grass, prickle berry, and hide root, I want to know.  Because according to the wiki, it should.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 01:20:54 pm »

I've swept the ground clean on two forts looking for Sliver Barb, and I'm starting to wonder if I'm looking in the right place.

I've had an embark with evil regions as part of the map both times, but all I've had is longland grass, wild strawberries, prickle berry, and hide root.  Is this what usually grows in the same regions where people find sliver barb?

When you said "regions", and since SB is found in almost any biome, I thought you were referring to confirming evil vs neutral vs etc. I thought you were asking about surroundings, not biomes, and wanted other tell-tale creatures/plants so you could confirm that you, indeed, had evil surroundings in your embark region.

If you want to know what else grows in the same biomes, I think you'll have to do your own analysis of the game objects, and I think you'll find that almost any- and everything else could show up with it.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 01:27:05 pm »

(double posting to make sure you see this)

Looking at the RAW's for matgloss_plant, SB is [dry] (which is mentioned in both the main wiki article and under "crops"). That may be the problem.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 01:29:07 pm by Albedo »

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 01:36:42 pm »

(double posting to make sure you see this)

Looking at the RAW's for matgloss_plant, SB is [dry] (which is not mentioned in the wiki). That may be the problem.

Actually, it is, both on the list of crops, and the page for sliver barb.  So theoretically, it should match the requirements for...wait for it...longland grass, wild strawberries, prickle berry, and hide root.  All it needs is the addition of evil.

So, I'm going to assume that sliver barb is a low-probability plant, that I'm having rotten luck, or that the programming for calculating plant probabilities has a flaw in it when trying to add in alignment-restricted plants.

Sorry about using the wrong word.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 02:21:43 pm »

(Yeah, I corrected my post above, missed it at first glance.)

My apologies too - I had just finished editing part of that page, so I had that on my mind, and simply projected that answer onto your question.

Quite possible that SB is a low-probability shrub, an evil equivalent of Sun Berries.  Makes sense that Toady would have something be in that category.  I'd just keep trying, maybe once you have a more experienced Herbalist.  I know I've stripped several "good" area blocks bare multiple times looking for Sun Berries and come up empty before.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 06:21:12 pm »

I think the Sliver Barb information on the wiki comes directly from the raws, so it's probably accurate on that point, for all its other inaccuracies.

I think Sliver Barbs are just pretty rare. I remember embarking on several evil locations trying to find some of the elusive plant, in combination with phantom spiders. I don't remember succeeding.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.