Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pet War Dogs aren't being buried?  (Read 1426 times)

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pet War Dogs aren't being buried?
« on: June 02, 2009, 11:11:24 am »

Guys, I got attacked by Orcs and my soldiers pet War Dogs died in the fray (they're useless, they die too easily against Orcs) and I want them to be buried in my Soldiers room (One of my first seven dwarves, so he has a tomb connected to his bedroom).

I put down the burial receptacle (b > n) and set it as a burial site, then I disabled civilians and only allowed pets. It's been about 10 minutes and still no one is burying them. I have people with the bury labor enabled, and even when they are idle they don't burry them. They are in the Refuse stockpile, does that affect it?

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pet War Dogs aren't being buried?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 11:23:28 am »

When you 'q' over the coffin who does it say it was claimed by?

Maybe you have a bunch of other pets that need to be interred first.

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 11:24:58 am »

No, my 2 first ever deaths. 2 dead war dogs. They are rotting now and my soldier is getting unhappy. It's annoying. I had this problem before with a Dwarf. They took their fucking time to bury him and I had to dump / un dump him before they did anything. It's annoying as hell.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 11:29:15 am »

I wonder, do pets get buried by people who aren't their owners? Perhaps you should deactivate the soldier and have him bury them himself.

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 11:29:59 am »

He is de-activated. He's my miner from my 7 dwarves. I'm just after the first winter.

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 11:32:20 am »

Try seeing checking out the orders menu (maybe you have it to only allow soldiers outside), and also try reclaiming the corpses.
There's an option in their to automatically forbid your dead. Perhaps that's on, in which case you'd have to reclaim the corpses.

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 11:35:28 am »

No no, all that was fine. It's pissing me off. Too late anyway, they rotted. I'm raging right now because it would have been awesome if they did bury the dogs. The coffins were like this:

X  X
  X      The two dogs at the Miners coffin side, and the Miner below. Would have been sweet. If this happens again i'm gonna flip.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 11:49:40 am »

Guys, I got attacked by Orcs and my soldiers pet War Dogs died in the fray (they're useless, they die too easily against Orcs)

That's not "useless". An orc had to stop and attack it, probably more than once, rather than doing the same to one of your dwarfs, giving them time to fight or flee.  Also, altho' a wardog is not nearly as dangerous against an armored opponent as an AxeLord, they occasionally get lucky, and probably contribute to more damage than you give them credit for.

I like to attach them to any permanent (non-missile) military, and any dwarf that regularly steps outside.  They're not the solution, merely part of it.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 12:54:00 pm »

Wow, all these posts and nobodies mentioned the fact that war animals don't get buried thanks to a glitch?
Or was that just pets, I forget.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 02:27:55 pm »

really?  as of when?

you need to enable refuse gathering and burial from outside, or things will just sit out there and rot.  also, coffins have to be unclaimed and also be enabled for pet burial. 

pet burial in coffins should default to "on" unless you have changed it in the INIT file, but since youre playing an orc mod then theres really no telling what the default setting is.  you can change it on a coffin-by-coffin basis anyway, and you still have to change youre refuse settings in any case.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 03:30:26 pm »

Hm, perhaps my memory is incorrect, looking through the bugs list there's only one thing that comes close, and that's that pet cats don't get buried.
Anyway, the orc mod doesn't change the init, infact, I don't think any 'mod' actually changes the init.

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 03:34:31 pm »

Albedo, touche. Good job, I didn't think of that. Also, i'm gonna assign 2 to each of my outgoing dwarves for protection. Meh. Save corrupted AGAIN :c

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 03:37:21 pm »

i downloaded a pre-packaged graphics set once, and it totally had tweaked the init.  not just resolution changes like you would expect, but it had disabled the music and bypassed the intro and such.  no telling what else it changed.

the mayday "graphics pack" for instance, includes gameplay changing mods!  i've heard people talk about installing graphics packs and ending up with orcs in their game.

madness, i tell you.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 03:41:15 pm »

i downloaded a pre-packaged graphics set once, and it totally had tweaked the init.  not just resolution changes like you would expect, but it had disabled the music and bypassed the intro and such.  no telling what else it changed.

the mayday "graphics pack" for instance, includes gameplay changing mods!  i've heard people talk about installing graphics packs and ending up with orcs in their game.

madness, i tell you.

Well, the mayday graphics pack isn't really a mod, it's just that, a graphics pack, and it changes the init to a few other things that I assume Mayday thought would be preferable over defaults, I know I don't bother burying pets. haha
It does include a few mods, but no gameplay changing ones, unless you count the "all economic stones" mod, it includes that and the Cat mouth fix.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 06:11:14 pm »

Hm, perhaps my memory is incorrect, looking through the bugs list there's only one thing that comes close, and that's that pet cats don't get buried.
Anyway, the orc mod doesn't change the init, infact, I don't think any 'mod' actually changes the init.

Your memory isn't incorrect. War dogs really don't get buried despite the negative thougths they produce in the dwarves to whom they were assigned. I've seen it happen on one heartbreaking occasion. *sniff*

Pets, the kind that dwarves adopt, regularly get buried, except cats. Something to do with them adopting dwarves preventing them from getting buried, I imagine.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.