Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: So there's this cyclops.  (Read 2607 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: So there's this cyclops.
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 10:37:08 pm »

If you search hard enough in the data folder you can find a whole list of what legendary creatures will say to your adventurer.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2009, 11:29:55 pm »

I once had a cyclops list off 24 people he had killed, including several leaders. After that he stepped up to me and punched. I dodged and decapitated him with a counter strike.

most anti-climatic fight ever.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 08:13:03 am »

Considering how wolves beat us? It's extremely climactic that he didn't die when you looked at him very meanly.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Cogmeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 08:20:59 am »

I once had a cyclops list off 24 people he had killed, including several leaders. After that he stepped up to me and punched. I dodged and decapitated him with a counter strike.

Yivu, for all his awesomeness in Legends, was also quite anti-climatic thanks to the injury. Gave into pain immediately and got hacked to bits. There was this other cyclops I sent my swordsdwarf at, though. I ran up to it, got punched into the head (which "collapsed into the body, an unrecognizable mass"), flew back 8 tiles, hit a wall and blew apart. That was kinda anti-climatic in the other direction :P

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 12:09:18 pm »

Yivu, for all his awesomeness in Legends, was also quite anti-climatic thanks to the injury. Gave into pain immediately and got hacked to bits. There was this other cyclops I sent my swordsdwarf at, though. I ran up to it, got punched into the head (which "collapsed into the body, an unrecognizable mass"), flew back 8 tiles, hit a wall and blew apart. That was kinda anti-climatic in the other direction :P

Personally, I never kill megabeasts while they're unconcious. I wait for them to get up again. With so few of them I can't afford to let them die without first savoring the combat. Dragons are the best, to see anyone following you be consumed by fire as you fight.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 03:44:21 pm »

Wait, so even something like a cyclops can't handle phantom pain? I hope that's fix in the next released (glanced through the dev notes some time ago, and I don't think I saw a mention of this).

Talking about anti-climactic megabeast fights, my first (and so far only) dragon had his throat slashed just a couple rounds into the fight. And my char wasn't even that overpowered yet.

Last time I thought a giant, I tried to prolong it, both for role-playing and experience-gaining reasons, by wrestling him for as long as I could. Got carried away and strangled him, far too soon for my tastes.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 03:51:30 pm »

Wait, so even something like a cyclops can't handle phantom pain? I hope that's fix in the next released (glanced through the dev notes some time ago, and I don't think I saw a mention of this).

Talking about anti-climactic megabeast fights, my first (and so far only) dragon had his throat slashed just a couple rounds into the fight. And my char wasn't even that overpowered yet.

Last time I thought a giant, I tried to prolong it, both for role-playing and experience-gaining reasons, by wrestling him for as long as I could. Got carried away and strangled him, far too soon for my tastes.

There is something in the dev blog about adding scarring to prevent the phantom limb pain

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 03:56:46 pm »

That's a shame.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 10:13:00 am »

Wait, so even something like a cyclops can't handle phantom pain?

as far as i understand creature size is not taken into account when figuring out if something will be affected by pain. just toughness. unfortunately this means the last dragon that attacked me in fortress mode kept passing out due to the 3 toes and one eye it was missing. i really hope this changes, it seems that pairing tendancy to pass out with creature size in the same way as it is linked to toughness would not be a hard thing to do.

you can make megabeasts and things tougher by giving them the [can_learn] tag, im pretty sure that lets them build up strengh, tougness and agility. high toughness stops the passing out, ive had superdwarvenly tough miners keep working with red lungs and missing limbs. stupid that a little dwarf miner can take more pain then a dragon before vomiting then collapsing.

and as for the occasional instant hit kills, that comes with the realism and lack of hit points. i remember from history class that some english king or other was riding to war in full knightly armor, when his hawk killed a chicken in the villiage he was passing through. the lady who owned the chicken was so angry she threw a saucepan at him, striking him in the head and killing him.

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2009, 11:33:59 am »

The spinning Iron Saucepan strikes the King in the head!
It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass!
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2009, 12:24:33 pm »

More like,

The lady has become enraged at all enemies!
The spinning ☼Iron Saucepan☼ strikes the King in the head!
It collapses in gore!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 05:08:29 pm »

More like,

The lady has become enraged at all enemies!
The spinning ☼Iron Saucepan☼ strikes the King in the head!
It collapses in gore!
Much better.  This is a great story. Bravo!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2009, 02:34:30 pm »

I hope they made that lady the new queen.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2009, 03:27:45 pm »

Personally, I never kill megabeasts while they're unconcious. I wait for them to get up again. With so few of them I can't afford to let them die without first savoring the combat. Dragons are the best, to see anyone following you be consumed by fire as you fight.
Wait, so breaking every joint and gouging eyes ISN'T savouring combat?

And yes, scars would be a good idea.  So maybe, after a year or so, the pain from losing a limb/ eye/ fingers/ toes ends forever (although they still of course lack that limb/ eye).

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2009, 03:29:10 pm »

It's being worked on. I think.  Check the dev list.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: 1 [2]