Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Various Suggestions.  (Read 1201 times)

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
Various Suggestions.
« on: May 30, 2009, 07:06:49 pm »

I think a good addition to DF would be new Blood types... For example you could have a Magma Blood type that means that if a creature is wounded and bleeding it's blood burns anything that touches it.
This would be great for things like magma men, Demons, ETC.
A regeneration ability would work wonders for Trolls.
Frost or acid breath?
ability to grab rocks from own body and hurl them at a target for Earth Elementals.
Player usable Adventure mode special abilities.
Psychological attacks for mind-flayer like creatures... or for demons to cause terror.
Burrowing creatures and other subterranean races that can attack from below.
Some kind of underworld realm for demons and such so you could end up accidentally burrowing into it and have to keep a constant vigil against the creatures of the underworld.
A [NOBLEEDDEATH] Tag that allows a creature to bleed but it will not die from it, zombies would be good with this. You could hack them to pieces and have blood flying everywhere but the zombie will still keep fighting.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 07:28:42 pm by Evil One »
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Various Suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 07:37:22 pm »

Nothing wrong with a chance for more magma. I like it.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 07:57:05 pm »

Frost or acid breath?

Breath weapons in next version

I think a good addition to DF would be new Blood types... For example you could have a Magma Blood type that means that if a creature is wounded and bleeding it's blood burns anything that touches it.

Different blood templates. Also next version.

A regeneration ability would work wonders for Trolls.

different healing and growing speeds as you can guess is in the next version.

Burrowing creatures and other subterranean races that can attack from below.

Not sure about the diggers but the Bottomless pit creatures will inhabit the new caves of the next version complete with animal-men which use crude selfmade weapons.

Some kind of underworld realm for demons and such so you could end up accidentally burrowing into it and have to keep a constant vigil against the creatures of the underworld.

Glowing pits - already in the game.

A [NOBLEEDDEATH] Tag that allows a creature to bleed but it will not die from it, zombies would be good with this. You could hack them to pieces and have blood flying everywhere but the zombie will still keep fighting.

I am not sure but iirc you could mark organs to be important for a living with also a number of these organs needed for living (heads of the hydra issue.). Not sure if you can mark the blood the same way. This is in the new bodysystem of the next version.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 08:13:02 pm »

Definitely going to be keeping my eyes peeled for the new version.

I'd still like to see player usable adventure mode special abilities though.

Another thing that I think would be REALLY good is if Dwarves could be instructed to seal walls/floors this would cause the walls/floors in question to collect water(like murky pools), It'd be great on those maps that have little or no water.

different healing and growing speeds as you can guess is in the next version.
Does this include regrowing lost limbs?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 09:00:27 pm by Evil One »
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 08:19:19 pm »

Breath weapons in next version

Yeah but only Material breath and not all kinds of them either.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 01:54:19 am »

Yeah but only Material breath and not all kinds of them either.

What do you mean?  It should definitely allow both frost breath (gas/powder of a material with a very cold fixed temperature) and acid breath (mist of a material with contact poisoning effects).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 02:10:09 am »

Ohh that isn't what I meant.

I was saying that his post wasn't a "Saying what Toady already put in the game" but rather expanding on a system.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 02:37:54 am »

Oh, gotcha.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 08:28:04 pm »

Other good additions to DF would be:
- If a creatures wrestling skill divided by twenty plus size times 10 was more than five times a persons weight(with equipment) the creature could pick them up and either throw them or carry them around... this would be great for dragons or titans.
- [CHARGER] creature prefers charging attacks(Rhinos and unicorns).
- [THIEF] creature can steal items from anothers inventory.
- [EXPLOSIVE] this creature is as the tag would suggest explosive and when killed goes boom, spraying its extract(if it has one) over anyone within the blast radius.
- [DEVOURER] a creature with this tag whether playable or not could eat other creatures so a dragon could eat a live adventurer.
- [CORPSE_EATER] same as devourer but allows the creature to eat corpses.
- [ICE_TRAVEL] creature can burrow through ice or be frozen in it without dying, nice if you want to create ice monsters.
- [NO_MORTAL] mortally wounding this creature would be impossible, good for undead or unliving creatures.
- [NUM_ATTACKS:X] a creature with this could hit X amount of times every turn so even a normally slow moving creature could still be dangerous in combat like the multi-armed Tentacle Demon.
- [LEAP:X] this creature could leap either to move about(Leaping up a sheer cliff) or as a means of attack with X amount being the distance in squares divide by three for vertical leaps.
- [ACROBATIC:X] a creature with this can fall X amount of squares without damage.
- New skill: Acrobat this skill functions similar to the ability but can be learned.
- [EXTRACT_BURNS:X] the creatures poison burns its victim with X being the temperature negative values would instead freeze the victim.
- [EXTRACT_ACID:X] the creatures poison is corrosive and does damage to both victim and equipment.
- [SPRAYS_EXTRACT] the creature can spray whatever poison it has been given a dragon for example could have both a burning extract and the spray ability thus it spits flames.
- [EXTRACT_RUSTS:X] this creatures poison would damage metal equipment only.
- [EXTRACT_BLINDS] the creatures poison blinds its victim for a set period... not permanant.
- [SPITS_EXTRACT] The creature can spit its poison a spitting cobra could spit its venom at a person.
- [BURROWS] the creature can move through the ground as if all ground tiles were stairs.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 08:30:38 pm by Evil One »

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 01:18:02 am »

Spitting is already in, in the form of projectil globs, also [SPRAY_EXTRACT] would be the same as a material breath!
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 01:38:41 am »

Evil One -- while many of your ideas are good ones, many of them are also frequently discussed, or already being implemented, or both.  If you want to make a meaningful contribution to DF's development, you'll best accomplish that by first staying up to date on dev news, skimming and searching the dev notes, and searching this forum for prior discussions, and then submitting your ideas.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 02:39:08 am »

When I said underworld I was thinking more along the lines of a massive underground realm with its own rivers, lakes, races(dark dwarves for example), cities,roads, ETC so someone playing fortress mode could accidentally tunnel right into a massive underground city and find themselves in a long drawn out war with the inhabitants of the underworld.
The [SPRAY_EXTRACT] & [SPIT_EXTRACT] would allow for modular centralization of the natural ranged attack code, so if a Dragons extract was 'Liquid Dragon Fire' any added command would use that as a base so if spray was added it would automatically select 'Liquid Dragon Fire' as the material unless another was specified, also an added [EXPLODE] command would see the dragon explode with 'Liquid Dragon Fire', if a seperate file for [EXTRACTS] was added it would allow each extract to be difined individually so a creature could spit globs of molten gold or spit burning cheese or anything.
I forgot to add a [NUM_SPRAY:X] and [NUM_SPIT:X] to allow multi-headed creatures to use their spit/spray attacks multiple times... Like a pyrohydra.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 02:43:04 am by Evil One »