Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Game vs Forums  (Read 2368 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Game vs Forums
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 11:18:07 am »

I am mostly on the forums because Dwarf Fortress is just too damn addictive. The forums I can close at a moments notice. DF will require I finish that aqueduct, drain the aquifer, pave the bottom of the bottomless pit so I can fill it with lava, make the deathtower, make the birthtower, recreate LaMulana in DF, etc, etc...

ZZZZZzzzzZZZZ

Wh-
 AGH!
 DAMMIT! HOW DID A WEEK PASS?!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 01:09:26 pm »

The general consensus seems to be the following:
Dwarf Fortress is an awesome game. What makes it perfect though, is the community.

Well said...well said! I couldn't agree more.  :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009, 01:14:46 pm »

I have spent more time on the forums then in the game.

This is a good community with one of the fewest elitist counts of all Roguelikes.

That and Dwarf Fortress is more enjoyable to me sparsely and Ive am waiting for the next release before I try Dwarf Fortress again.

florian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 01:52:02 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is an awesome game. What makes it perfect though, is the community.

Well, duh, of course that's the consensus on the forums!

I think the community's actually surprisingly immature, considering the depth of the game. Or was, at least- I haven't followed the forums much for a while.
Depends on if you consider drowning elves and nobles as immature.
And application of magma to everything.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 04:48:15 pm »

I have not enough time to dive into DF, but forums are always there!  I spend way more time on forums than playing.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 04:52:33 pm »

I think the community's actually surprisingly immature, considering the depth of the game. Or was, at least- I haven't followed the forums much for a while.
BUT I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF ME DRILLING HOLES IN ELVES!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

florian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 05:12:26 pm »

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU JUST SAID BECAUSE I'M DRILLING HOLES INTO ELVES WHICH ARE ENCASED IN OBSIDIAN!

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 05:44:41 pm »

I am not even playing with DF since ~3+ months, because I am waiting for the new version to be released.
It's been in development how many years?  Perfection isn't going to happen, might as well enjoy what's there.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2009, 01:00:34 pm »

I have spent more time on the forums then in the game.

This is a good community with one of the fewest elitist counts of all Roguelikes. 

Which doesn't say much  :)

EDIT: I read the Future of the Fortress thread from time to time; the off topic stuff's too nerdy for me.  Some of the dwarf mood jokes are also really, REALLY getting old.

But i still love u guize
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 01:05:13 pm by Krash »
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2009, 03:27:18 pm »

Wait, DF was a game? I'd forgotten.  :o

In all seriousness, I too am looking forward to the next release too much to really be able to play it. So I spend my time making that release better instead.  ;D
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2009, 05:06:15 pm »

In all seriousness, I too am looking forward to the next release too much to really be able to play it.

I know what you mean. With everything changing so much it feels pointless to play it the way it is now; everything will change so hugely.  Better to forget everything I ever learned and come into it as a noob learning about a brave new world than a grumpy old veteran constant crabbing because they changed the furniture.

The forums are great entertainment to pass the time, and the devlog helps.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2009, 05:54:12 pm »

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU JUST SAID BECAUSE I'M DRILLING HOLES INTO ELVES WHICH ARE ENCASED IN OBSIDIAN!
AND I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF ME DRILLING HOLES IN ELVES THAT ARE ENCASED IN MORE ELVES THAT ARE ENCASED IN ICE. DID I MENTION THE ICE IS ENCASED IN OBSIDIAN?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2009, 05:58:06 pm »

Yeah, I've gotten tired of the game itself and won't be playing again until the update, but I'm always on the forums.  A lot of times I'd get on the forums while playing DF and forget I was playing for a half hour o r more.
Shoes...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2009, 07:11:40 pm »

I am not even playing with DF since ~3+ months, because I am waiting for the new version to be released. Ah well, this is the only forum what I visit each and every day, because I like this community.  :)
Exactly my case as well.

This community kicks ass.

Q. F. T.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2009, 07:13:45 pm »

I am mostly on the forums because Dwarf Fortress is just too damn addictive. The forums I can close at a moments notice. DF will require I finish that aqueduct, drain the aquifer, pave the bottom of the bottomless pit so I can fill it with lava, make the deathtower, make the birthtower, recreate LaMulana in DF, etc, etc...

ZZZZZzzzzZZZZ

Wh-
 AGH!
 DAMMIT! HOW DID A WEEK PASS?!
A week? Seriously? *looks at the date* GOOD GOD ITS BEEN 2 WEEKS SINCE I GOT OUT OF SCHOOL ALREADY??
*sigh* Must... Complete... Obsidian... Pyramid....

Itis threads like this(spoilers): http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=37165.0 which make the forums awesome.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 07:22:16 pm by alway »
Pages: 1 [2]