Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: One Dwarf Army  (Read 1898 times)

florian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One Dwarf Army
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 05:59:48 pm »

Lies.  I have had some gobbo snipers take shots at my marksdwarves.  Not that any were hit...
Upwards through fortifications? Haven't seen that.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 06:04:11 pm »

I did this once.

Legendary Hammerdwarf, wrestler, armor user, shield user.

Had an artifact adamantine plate mail, artifact gauntlet, artifact high boot.  Everything else master quality.

He got around 30 or 40 kills before the rest ran off.

Any wounds?

Slight wound to his right arm and leg after combat.  Those were the arm and leg he didn't have artifact equipment on... haha.

If he had any injuries other than that, I'm not sure, I didn't check during combat, I just watched him slaughter the orcs.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 06:40:10 pm »

I do this all the time. It's pretty easy. All you need is a door, and preferably an elevated location.

Set up the fortress so that you can restrict access to a single door. Be careful that you don't allow a thief to take an alternate locked doorway and open up a 2nd entrance. On the approach to the one door, build a long corridor, maybe 30 tiles long. I have mine 3 wide as it leads to the trade depot. Set up your dwarf so that it can fire down the length of the corridor and have the doorway maybe 5 tiles ahead of him, on the side of the corridor.

When the orc siege arrives, restrict passage to only that door. As they reach the corridor, it'll become apparent that they are pathing to the doorway and your dwarf will open fire on them. Before any of them reach the door, lock it and they'll all continue until they bump into the locked door and then they'll stand there with no new place to go and get cut down. Once they're all dead, reopen the door for the next group to path in. Repeat until the siege is broken.

If your dwarf is a z-level above, he will rarely if ever get shot at. At the ground level you run the risk of some snipers pathing to the fortification and shooting in, but I've never seen orcs try to shoot through fortifications unless they're just a handful of tiles away.

The downsides to trying this are that you run a decent chance of having caravans wiped out, but that's somewhat inevitable no matter what you do. Also if you get war elephant mounts, then the door just won't cut it. I've yet to gen a world with those, so I can't give a strategy there.

In one other no-immigrant fortress I have a single dwarf with over 1000 kills. She's been the only military the fortress has ever had with 15 years of gobbo ambushes and orc sieges. No traps, though a few got smashed by bridges, but not many.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 06:41:27 pm »

Upwards through fortifications? Haven't seen that.

Oh, I have. I've had gobbos cut down my guys on the 4th level of a guard tower. Never seen orcs do it, however, and I've faced mountains of them.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 06:49:19 pm »

You could build MASTER DWARVES, these VERY powerful dwarves are my result with training to legendary in every combat skill. the downside to it is that it takes FOREVER to train them up, i like to think of it as Sparta where dwarves are trained from childhood (once they have the ability to enter) to when they're legendary Masters. The only other problem being the scarcity of them, i've got 4 in training, for the past 3 years... they're only legendary speardwaves, sworddwarves, wrestlers, armor/shield user/adept hammerdwarf.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Arcanalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 10:04:15 pm »

A very important question...

Are there Skeletal Elks on your map? If so, you've got a quick ticket to one-Dwarf-army-dom.
Pages: 1 [2]