Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World z-levels  (Read 677 times)

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
World z-levels
« on: May 29, 2009, 05:38:37 pm »

The world map should have multiple z-levels. Each world z-level should take up about 20 in-game z-levels. You could make areas rock, wood, water, mysterious ancient building, or empty space. On top of the material, you can choose the drainage, temperature, and things like that, or just have the game gen it itself normally. Underground, you could change various variables that effect the type of caves. It would also be nice if there was options for making giant elephants and turtles. Obviously, the game would allow you to make huge towers reaching from the bottom world z-level to the very top. Maybe travellers would access your tower for use as transportation to a higher world!

You could use this to make a floating rock world with a giant tree that contains small round "islands"

Or you could have huge floating landscapes.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World z-levels
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 05:43:21 pm »

Wouldn't this make worldgen take an even longer time?

I have no idea how this would work, given the way z-levels work now.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 06:00:52 pm »

I think I read that Toady was going to do a "Multible Plains" Arc or something like that.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 06:06:56 pm »

iirc the "Multiple plains arc" is more in the line of multiple visitable parallel-worlds.

As i understand it varkarrusis asking for a better world-painter in the manner of a world-editor. Either that or she/he it is trolling.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 06:22:47 pm »

There is a lack of z-levels though. Mountains are at most twenty or thirty dwarf heights or so. That's not really mountainous.. I'd rather have a smaller world with more height differences, if performance during the game is an issue. I couldn't care less for performance during worldgen. If I need to let the computer running for an hour or two to generate a world, that's ok. They only get better after playing more fortresses in it anyway.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 06:52:31 pm »

Well lets say a Z-level is about 3 Meters (which it isnt i am sure) so the biggest mountains are (+100 z-level map) 300 Hundred meters top. 300 meters height relative to the surroundings is a mountain.

It gets better thought by the fact that the heights are indeed relative to the surroundings. Compared to DF sealevel the highest mountains are still 2 or 3 Kilometers high - your dwarfs just compare to the lowest level of the map. Thus the sero-zlevel is not the sealevel so you could sit on the top of a mountain thats miles high but you would still only get your 30+x zlevels.

In my oppinion the mountain(-range)-flanks arent steep enought to create Multiple hundred Zlevels on alocal map, thought that isnt even that much a problem for me.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 07:24:21 pm »

This is pretty much the same as the recently implemented world layers, as discussed in the dev log entries for April.

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 08:32:19 pm »

Ever heard of that norse myth about that tree, Yggdrassil? No mountain could compare.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 02:00:33 am »

In my oppinion the mountain(-range)-flanks arent steep enought to create Multiple hundred Zlevels on alocal map, thought that isnt even that much a problem for me.
Well, I can get 180 available. Have fun.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 05:50:15 am »

The world already has z-levels.   You also need to keep in mind that the 'world' is a small country, and not an entire globe, at this time.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 07:01:12 am »

The world already has z-levels.   You also need to keep in mind that the 'world' is a small country, and not an entire globe, at this time.
Actually, its an universe.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 08:52:55 am »

Actually, this might be really interesting, essentially turn the world map into a full 3-d map itself rather than just the 2-d one it is now, so you could see the heights of places directly, and scroll up and down between layers.  Have the world map with a large number of layers/world map layer, and then regional and local views would be more finely detailed.  Local ones might be only a few layers/map layer or something, make it easier to see the general height of an area.

And for example, instead of a tile just showing that it had an underground pond in it, you could look and see where it was vertically.  Or see that a tile had an underground lake 2 world map layers down, an underground river running through the 3rd layer down through the third tile(and where all it started and went vertically in it's process), and some adamantium 4 layers down in the same square.  Set up world gen to be really 3 dimensional in how it places things.

And then a really useful part, you could have it set up so you could designate vertically as well, make your fortress 3x3x4 to get to that adamantium down there, or such. :)  Although that might end up with some tricky to handle forts that would require some extra code.  Next to an ocean where the region doesn't reach the bottom, on the side of a mountain, where it doesn't reach all the way down to the ground.  Those wouldn't be too hard I suppose, you could just create an air/ocean tile for the bottom of the map, that would act like a chasm/lava flow, etc.  Or if you start out in a cavern where your region doesn't reach the surface.