Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Separate brewing from distilling  (Read 1588 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Separate brewing from distilling
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 06:42:12 pm »

I'm glad you bumped it, because this has been bothering me.  Considering the central role of alcohol in the lives of dwarves (and other creatures, considering that Drunk is a profession unto itself), there really should be more attention to how it's produced.  I'm not sure brewing should even require a workshop, so I think we can get by with just the Still, although it should certainly require more appropriate components.

Jakkarra

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 08:13:25 pm »

any addition of flavour (within reason) gets a plus from me.

i see exactly what you mean with your posts, and i think it could be a very good idea if implemented correctly, but it may annoy some players.

though you did mention it'd be optional, like coins.or living elves

love, jakkarra

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 08:17:17 pm »

I suppose brewing could pretty much just be done in a kitchen (homebrew!), but a still should be used for distilling IMHO.  Maybe there could be a kitchen option to make it so it is only used to brewing stuff.

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 10:07:05 pm »

I like this because spirits are most certainly a central aspect of dwarven civilization.  I would like to present a few ideas.

Have the ability to construct a building or define a specific stockpile and have it act as a wine cellar or a whiskey barn or something.  The simple fact of storing spirits in a specifically controlled area for a prolonged period of time could have them increase in quality or potency.

There is much talk of expanded noble positions in other threads, I would like to pose one here for Brewmeister, Chief Brewmeister, Royal Brewmeister, etc.  You could give this guy a production limit of alcohol to maintain on hand in the fortress for any given time, if possible.  Similar to the manager, but he _ONLY_ focuses on spirits.

On a tangent, the same could be had for a master cook or butcher.  A master cook could ensure that a certain level of foodstocks are on hand in the fortress at any given time, conditions permitting.  A master butcher could ensure that the minimum age, gender, and quantity of livestock are on hand at any time by issuing jobs to butchers shops.  Who knows how it would eventually look.
Computer says 'No'.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 10:38:36 pm »

What if the Still itself were a large piece of metal "furniture"? An optional one that could be installed inside a brewery-like an anvil inside of a blacksmith's shop-either while it was being constructed, or after it was built.
For they would be your masters.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 11:40:56 pm »

We already have useless midproducts in food production. Considering the nature of the game, there's no excuse for throwing realism into the bin

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 12:56:58 am »

The food midproducts are largely placeholders until food and agriculture gets revamped at some point down the line IIRC, so it's worthwhile to bring this up before that takes place.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 06:40:52 am »

What if the Still itself were a large piece of metal "furniture"? An optional one that could be installed inside a brewery-like an anvil inside of a blacksmith's shop-either while it was being constructed, or after it was built.

Room-like workshops would address that pretty nicely.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Jakkarra

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 06:59:56 am »

Room-like workshops would address that pretty nicely.

very much so indeed.

item stacking would also help for the ageing process (if that is implemented) hopefully within reason though.

love, jakkarra

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 10:27:25 pm »

I support it. It would be better than having 2 buildings, now only two options. It'd be like a forge for booze.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 12:35:45 am »

It'd be like a forge for booze.
All the better to get hammered!  ;D
For they would be your masters.
Pages: 1 [2]