Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Workbench Job Profiles  (Read 668 times)

Sangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Workbench Job Profiles
« on: May 28, 2009, 11:49:30 am »

I have been wanting to use the manager to have ease of creating jobs but still have the fine grained control of only having those jobs for a particular workshop.  This is mainly due to either dealing with stockpile management.  The raw resources for a job are close to this one particular workshop (processing quarry bushes vs processing pig tails or syrup).  Or dealing with training vs legendary users assigned to the workshop for the output goods (block building vs obsidian statue building).  Details of my solution are below. I welcome any input.

I would like to see a Jobs Profile for Workshops.  It would allow the acceptance or denial of jobs from the job manager.  It would function similar to the Custom stockpiles screen.  It would list all jobs that are available there.  Each job would be an on or off toggle.  You would have options to toggle a whole level of a menu and it's sub-categories or just the lowest level of jobs.  It would default to all jobs on.

It would not allow you to modify material types used unless the jobs menu did so.  So Craftsdwarf benches could set Rock Crafts but not Obsidian Crafts.  Smithies would allow the selection of Iron Swords. 

Jobs would be able to be set though the Job Manager.  Before these items were added to a workbench's queue however it would check the profile.  If the bench did not allow it to be set it would not queue the job there. 

Jobs could still be set manually on that bench that would differ than the profile.  The profile would only affect jobs queued through the Job Manager.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Workbench Job Profiles
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 06:05:26 am »

Alternately, what if we could force association with stockpiles? So orders given at the workshop would only "see" things in the stockpile(s) it is associated with.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Sangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 08:45:34 am »

Odd, my search for "job manager" only showed a thread from over a year ago.

I think that limiting the input to a certain set of materials goes against some of the feel of the game.  Part of it is building and positioning your fortress in a logical efficient manner (if you choose). 

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 08:48:03 am »

Odd, my search for "job manager" only showed a thread from over a year ago.

I think that limiting the input to a certain set of materials goes against some of the feel of the game.  Part of it is building and positioning your fortress in a logical efficient manner (if you choose). 
Please explain. How does that contradict each other?
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.