Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure Mode: Wolves constantly rape me.  (Read 1840 times)

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventure Mode: Wolves constantly rape me.
« on: June 05, 2009, 02:44:21 pm »

Alright guys. I love Adventure mode, but it's a bit of teh gheyyy.

For one, when I go off to start my arduous journey to slay the Giant, I return to an empty Inn. The Mayor nowhere in sight. That pisses me off.

Two, whenever I travel, if I get mugged, I can handle the odd animal, even a Grizzly bear without too much hassle, but a lot of the time I get attacked by 4-6 Wolves and I barely make it out alive. Any other better ways to fight?

I tried being a Crossbowman which was awesome and raped people left right and center, but once they closed the distance I died. I can't ever find any drunkards to guard me.

I tried Hammerdwarf, which I liked, but he doesn't kill stuff quick enough, so I end up dying. All he does is mangle and propel.

I tried Axedwarf who is by far the best, but still, fighting off that many Wolves is hard.

I usually put 10 points in a weapon skill, then 9 in Shield and 9 in Armor. Is that a good setup? Help me on how to fight stuff off well and how to pick skills well!

Also, anyway to target a wolf specifically? I want to leave an unconscious, or badly mangled wolf alone and tackle one of the more deadlier wolves who are still fit and alive, but I can't differentiate between the wounded and the healthy. Anyway to do that?

Anamabir

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode: Wolves constantly rape me.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 03:02:09 pm »

You should put some points in wrestling. That's the skill that controls how good you are at dodging etc., so it makes things a whole lot easier.

FellMoodFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 03:04:45 pm »

Hopefully before anyone flames you: Adventure mode questions are best if put in the adventure mode forum.  People get snippy if put in the wrong forum.
Anyway, after you finish with skills and start your adventure, train throwing by grabbing pebbles and flinging them around [or even at your feet]. It takes about 300 thrown items to get to legendary, according to the wiki, which will give you a LOT of stat boosts.  Having strength can mean the difference between bruising with your hammer and caving in a skull, having agility can mean the difference between killing eight wolves at range or taking one down before they get to you, and having toughness can mean the difference between a scrape and a missing limb.
As stated by Amamabir, wrestling is dodging ability.  It's also good to train up; find some groundhogs or a lone cougar to strangle to train it up.  It's slower, but really handy, and good for your stats as well.
The denser the dwarf, the more likely he'll survive his stupidity.

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 03:09:41 pm »

Thanks Fellmood ;D Really nice answer.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 03:59:08 pm »

Please move this to the adventure mode discussion forum. Lower left corner of the screen in this thread.

I want to have a discussion about being destroyed by wolves.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 05:24:17 pm »

I want to point out we have a DF Gameplay Questions forum, a Dwarf Fortress Mode forum, AND an Adventure Mode forum.  So...maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see anything that says what differentiates Gameplay from the others.  As I see it, questions on any mode should fit here?  Else, what am I missing?

Gameplay
"Do you need help playing Dwarf Fortress? Confused about some aspect of the game? Use this forum."
Fortress Mode
"Want to discuss the Dwarf Fortress mode of Slaves to Armok II: Dwarf Fortress? This is the forum for you."
Adventure Mode
"If you want to discuss playing an Adventurer in Slaves to Armok II: Dwarf Fortress, this is the place."

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 05:26:28 pm »

Hopefully before anyone flames you...

Wolves constantly rape me.

Actually, anyone who goes around leading with this statement has bigger problems imo.  8)

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 05:56:57 pm »

I want to point out we have a DF Gameplay Questions forum, a Dwarf Fortress Mode forum, AND an Adventure Mode forum.  So...maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see anything that says what differentiates Gameplay from the others.  As I see it, questions on any mode should fit here?  Else, what am I missing?

Gameplay
"Do you need help playing Dwarf Fortress? Confused about some aspect of the game? Use this forum."
Fortress Mode
"Want to discuss the Dwarf Fortress mode of Slaves to Armok II: Dwarf Fortress? This is the forum for you."
Adventure Mode
"If you want to discuss playing an Adventurer in Slaves to Armok II: Dwarf Fortress, this is the place."

This man is right.

OP: You need wrestling. I go 10 points weapon skill, 7-9 points wrestling, 1-2 point armor user (it affects how much armor encumbers you, not how well it defends you), at least 2 points into shield and then mix it up between thrower, ambusher and swimmer depending how I plan to play. Always invest at least 1 point into swimming so you don't dodge into a puddle and drown to death.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 01:24:57 am »

Put all points into your weapon skill. Everything else can be easily trained, usually on those same wolves.

And if your adventurer dies from meeting the first pack of wolves he meets, he hardly has the mettle to take on bigger things. No loss when that happens. Just start anew.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Zancor Mezoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 08:15:17 pm »

If your adventurer is a beginner (e.g. you have normal quality weapons/armor, starting skills, low stats), he will have a hard time taking down anything alone.  With my best skill setup it took me about 15 savescums to take down my first GCS, and another 10 to take down the Giant for my quest.  I'd suggest going to a dwarven or goblin town to recruit some followers.

To do this, you need to approach a military dwarf/goblin/human (sometimes there are humans in goblin towns) NPC that is not either a Guard or a ___ Lord/Elite ___.  From there, use 'k' to talk to them, scroll to Join (it will be a lighter color than the other options), and press enter.  Sometimes they will reject you, but other times they will come with you, and you will be prompted to press space to exit the dialogue.

Once you recruit someone, they will stay with you through pretty much everything.  Getting their arm chopped off by a monster, attacking a town, etc.  shouldn't turn them against you.  They will also flash gray like your adventurer does to show that they are in your party (note that the mayor of a town does this as well, even though a mayor will never join you).  If you venture a really far ways away from them and then Travel to a different site, they will disappear, though. 
Anyway, I figure that the dwarves are only marginally less wasteful of metal than they are of wood. The moody dwarf's selecting only the best 5% of each bar of metal, and eats the rest to sustain him as he works on the artifact.