Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has anyone made a character-screen generator?  (Read 1566 times)

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Has anyone made a character-screen generator?
« on: May 26, 2009, 09:15:25 am »

Hey folks,

I've seen a couple of people with .sigs or wiki info files done in the form of a character screen in DF.  Does anyone here know how to do that?  Is there a font that you can install so that you can type your own sentences, likes, dislikes, psychological quirks, and so on and have it appear like the info screen?  Better yet, is there a generator that will automatically do it for you?

I'd program one myself but I don't have the fu.
g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone made a character-screen generator?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 10:10:16 am »

I used to have one of those...long long ago.  I just remembered the format of those screens and put the information in the proper places.

Heck have DF open in a window with a dwarf's personality info up and you'll even have a refrence.

If you want to use the same tokens as an actual dwarf the wiki has a listing of all the messages for each value somewhere under personality.  I assume the 'thoughts' have a similar page.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 04:38:56 pm »

Oh, I don't have any problem with the content.  I've already written something like this myself for my Wiki user page many, many years ago.  What I'm asking for is something that makes it look like the info screen, with the right font and colours.
g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 06:19:18 pm »

Ah I thought it seemed a bit odd.  There is a bmp (or ping if you have the graphics update versions) of the font DF uses in the DF folder, at data/art. It may be possible to convert that into something an OS can recognize as a font file.  At a glance it seems to conform to the ascii numbering anyway..

As for the colors, the RGB values of all colors used are at the end of the init file.

I imagine it would be possible to put a screen together using that information, but there aren't any programs that I know of that will do that for you.  I'm also not an expert on operating system fonts.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Flashzom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 11:24:06 pm »

They are making this far too complicated. Have you tried just using print screen?
And as the fires licked and roared over his skin, Urist realized that the hustle and bustle of being on fire really tired him out.

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 11:52:39 pm »

They are making this far too complicated. Have you tried just using print screen?

I'll do that as soon as I meet a dwarf with exactly my likes and dislikes!  But until then, I'd like to WRITE one with MY content so that it is a character screen about ME, but with the DF font and colours and general appearance.
g+@@T@+

Flashzom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 07:56:17 am »

Well, try this. Do a print screen, open it up on Paint or what have you, use the eye dropper tool to get the color of the font, experiment around with the font type, and viola. It's really quite easy.
And as the fires licked and roared over his skin, Urist realized that the hustle and bustle of being on fire really tired him out.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 03:53:44 pm »

Well, try this. Do a print screen, open it up on Paint or what have you, use the eye dropper tool to get the color of the font, experiment around with the font type, and viola. It's really quite easy.

After you've panned through about 300+ fonts from the pulldown menu.

Just to point that out.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Flashzom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 04:16:55 pm »

Well, depends on how badly you want it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think it's fixedsys. Or at least it's close enough where no one would really notice the difference.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 04:19:46 pm »

You could do some very meticulous copy and pasting.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 01:53:25 am »

Hmmmm.  It doesn't look like fixedsys to me at all.  fixedsys is sans-serif, for one thing(*), and the DF font has distinctive serifs.  I also think the weighting is completely different.  (A quick Google search tells me that something called "fixedsys excelsior" has a seriffed version, but it looks even less like the DF font to me.  You can see it here, almost exactly halfway down the page:  http://fixedsysexcelsior.com/information/scripts.gif)

(*) Edited to add, that's not quite right since letters like i and l have serifs in fixedsys.  But a lot of letters don't which do in the DF font (like g).  I don't really know what to call it!  Whatever the case, though, it's not the DF font.

Anyway, I take y'all's point that there isn't a generator out there and that the versions I've seen were all homemade/handmade.  I can deal with that.  I might make my own if I find the time.  Just didn't want to reinvent the wheel is all.  Thanks!

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 01:57:02 am by Ookpik »
g+@@T@+