Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Friendly/nonexistent goblins?  (Read 1369 times)

rodgort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Friendly/nonexistent goblins?
« on: January 18, 2011, 12:33:22 am »

I noticed after a while on my new embark that I hadn't seen any goblins after a suspiciously long amount of time. So I checked the "civilizations" (c menu) screen and found that they have a green "P" next to their civilization name. I'm interpreting this to mean that the goblins are at peace with me? The main exports/imports are listed as "Terror" and "Vengeance", respectively, and I have seen a solitary goblin snatcher.

I'm a little bummed that they aren't likely to come besieging. Is my interpretation correct? My recollection in picking the embark site was that the goblins had a red line next to them, which I took to mean that we were at war.

Also, in new embarks... I often see four civilizations listed as being nearby on the embark screen, but when I arrive and check the "civilizations" screen, it is common that only the dwarves are shown. Can anybody explain?

Thanks!

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Friendly/nonexistent goblins?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 12:51:41 am »

As far as i know, the Civilization screen shows only the Civs currently on the map, so the one you see is your own. Well atleast its that way with my game, for example as soon as a Elven Carawan enters my site they appear in the Civ screen.

Concerning the Goblins, i think Ambushes and Sieges from them get triggered by Wealth. So if you want to provoke a attack you could Smooth and engrave some Walls, or produce Crafts out of gold or cut gems and so on. With my Fortress i had the first attack soon after i produced the first Gold Crafts, but it was just a Ambush, never saw a Siege until now and i played some Frotress over the course of many years.

English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Eradacater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 12:55:12 am »

snatchers and thieves arrive before they besiege you. The civilization screen only shows civs who are on your map , or been their before.
Lava trap = Fun
Drowning trap = fun
Fight pit = fun
Orbital magma cannon = more fun than most can handle

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 03:26:13 am »

As far as i know, the Civilization screen shows only the Civs currently on the map, so the one you see is your own.

It shows any civilization that you've had contact with.  So once goblins appear on the map they'll appear in your civ screen, but once you kill them and/or chase them off, they don't magically disappear from the civ list.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

rodgort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 09:20:20 am »

Ahhhh. Thank you all! What about the "P"? Does that not denote "peace"?

Or in the case of goblins, does "peace" just mean they haven't gotten around to laying a siege yet?

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 10:51:35 am »

The "P" doesn't mean they are at peace with you (they are never at peace with you!) it means they are at peace with the civilization you have currently highlighted. If you move the cursor to them the peace sign will dissapear.

akinzle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 08:14:33 pm »

Might just take a long time. If they're on your civ list and they're hostile, they will eventually come. I think I read somewhere that distance to goblin fortresses has an effect on the frequency of ambushes and sieges.

rodgort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 12:49:36 am »

Thank you all! That's much clearer. I simply didn't understand the civilization screen previously. After waiting a while, there have been the usual sorts of goblin ambushes, giving my recruits a chance to get their blades wet.

Does anybody know, perchance, if there is a minimum fortress population for honest-to-goodness sieges? I abandoned my previous fortress because the FPS dropped to an unplayable (in my eyes) 25 or so when I got up to about 140 dwarves. This one has been capped at a population 60, and is running much more smoothly. Yet I'm about 4 years into the game, and would have expected a siege by now by the standards of previous embarks - it occurred to me that they may simply not occur below some population threshold.

If it's just a matter of fortress value, that's shooting up as I crank out masterwork steel armor and cover every surface with masterwork engravings. So I may simply have to wait.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 01:33:52 am »

Minimum population for a siege is set by default to 80. You can edit it though.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=72297.msg1772862#msg1772862

rodgort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 01:40:23 am »

Thank you! Suspicion confirmed, then.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 08:38:05 am »

Well i tried to compare the Attack frequency of two fortresses. With my oldest fort, i got the first goblinsiege in year 3 i think, soon after i hit 80 Dwarfs. That Fort wasnt far away of a Goblin Civ.

My latest fort is pretty far away from any hostile civ, and after i hit a pop of over 80 Dorfs it took almost 3 Years to get sieged by Goblins. So if you want some action i suggest embarking not too far away from the next Goblin Civ. Or if the opposite is the case, if you want long periods to get your Defense up embark with some distance between you and the suckers. Well its kinda obvious if you think about it, but i like the idea of Goblins traveling 3 Years to get to my fort with 15 Axemen and then get instakilled by my Trap Corridor, gives the kills this extra bit of Schadenfreude.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 01:40:22 pm »

The "P" doesn't mean they are at peace with you (they are never at peace with you!) it means they are at peace with the civilization you have currently highlighted. If you move the cursor to them the peace sign will dissapear.

If you move the cursor to another civ, it shows that civ relations with others.

Say the elves and humans are at war with each other. If you highlight the dwarves, it will say "P" next to elves, humans and goblins. If you highlight humans, it will be "P" with dwarves and goblins, but "W" with elves.

Of course if you highlight the goblin civ, the peace sign next to them will disappear! They can't be at war or at peace with themselves, just as you can't disagree with your own opinion.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.