Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who has the most dangerous Job, lets make it official.

Nobles (magma)
FisherDwarves (carp)
Elf Traders (No wood please)
Masons (Trapped)
Recruits (Defend us against Orcs)
Miners (The Horror Demons in the Deep)
Hunters (A dark force has...)
Soapmakers (But i already have 12)
Lyemakers (nuff said)
Mechanics (pull that lever)
Furnace operator/Metalsmither/Smelter
Df player

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dangerous Jobs  (Read 1802 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Dangerous Jobs
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 08:09:02 pm »

you know, ive lost all respect for carp.

I had a weaver who liked cats.  He liked cats ALOT, all 9 of them...

I also had a river full of carp.

Given their reputation as dwarf slayers, i figured they would take care of my pet population and slay or neutralize my errant weaver.

an hour later i had a food stockpile full of carp.
I know how you feel. Try making execution grounds utilizing carp. It doesn't work. Even when they're angry/provoked. Talk about disappointment.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 08:19:26 pm »

Now, underground river baddies, that is a different story.  Snakemen... *shivers*
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 08:22:08 pm by zchris13 »
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 08:31:06 pm »

Now, underground river baddies, that is a different story.  Snakemen... *shivers*
Look at it this way. As long as there aren't Chryssalids with them, you're fine.

...Wrong game right? I could imagine how absolutely terrifying DF would be if they were included. Forget hippos, elephants, HFS, GCS, and carp; one of these guys can kill an entire well-guarded fortress alone, through replication/infection. Definitely a mod-worthy project to try out.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 08:38:59 pm by Itnetlolor »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 08:38:41 pm »

My miner got swept into the underground river. He was chilling on the edge of the waterfall, where it was only 1 or 2 deep, but then he tried to dig his way out.  It was conveniently located on the corner of the waterfall (it doubled back)
That is the chasm at the end, by the way.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 09:09:46 am »

Look at it this way. As long as there aren't Chryssalids with them, you're fine.

Alien tech and dartguns, ftw.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 10:15:38 am »

I motion to add woodburners to the list. They spend just as much time outside as a hunter does, but unlike hunter they are totally defenceless.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 11:04:58 am »

I motion to add woodburners to the list. They spend just as much time outside as a hunter does, but unlike hunter they are totally defenceless.

What, no wood stockpile?

Although mine end up doing all the hauling, since all the haulers end up as wood burners from charcoal-making.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 12:23:24 pm »

Well I do have a wood stockpile, but I double the wood haulers as wood burners. They are useless anyway. :-)
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.
Pages: 1 [2]