Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Old Fortress  (Read 617 times)

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Old Fortress
« on: May 24, 2009, 11:17:27 pm »

Most of my fortresses die from Orc massacres, HFS or boredom as the FPS falls to about 1 with 200 dwarves just running. I don't think I've ever had a fort last over 10 years. But I have some questions about Old forts I'm curious about.
1) When dwarves born at the fort grow up and become adults, do they ever take on lovers and possibly spouses, and create children of their own? I heard that only dwarves of the same immigration wave can fall in love, so how does this apply to children?
2) Can dwarves die of old age? I know they do all the time in legends and such but does it ever happen in a fort?
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Old Fortress
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 11:18:25 pm »

What can i say. my fort has grand kids, and yes dwarves die.
Magma is overrated.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 11:26:31 pm »

I can confirm that as well.

FPS is what kills all of my forts. Due to that, I always cap population in the 30-40 range, and usually kids at 10-20. Yes, 200 dwarves will build that soap tower to the moon faster than 40, but in terms of MY time, the 40 will probably do it faster than your 200.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 11:48:52 pm »

1) Yes, they can marry and also breed like rabbits. Also, females take their babies into battle and use them as shields.

2)Yes they can. Very rare though, since they live to about 170 years. You try to keep your fortress for that long. You will see. You will never get dwarves dying out of that.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 11:21:28 am »

To expand on number 2, dwarves that arrive at your fort through immigration will have a preset random age, though I think there is an upper limit. So you may get immigrants dying off after 50 years of a fort. Dwarves that are born will only die after their full life span of ~170 years.