Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The noble safe containment project.  (Read 1747 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: The noble safe containment project.
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2009, 05:30:45 pm »

Bah, that isn't about solving anything. Don't you see that the nobles are the massive support pillar of dwarfdom? And everytime you just let your nobles live among the common rabble you just linked a doomsday lever to that support. You may know not to pull it, but what about the next in line in a succession game? Huh? He will pull that lever and you know it and all of dwarfdom will collapse. The only reasonable measure is to get them somewhere safe, far far away from goblins, elves, tantrums and HFS. Feed them, clothe them, do their mandates, but by Armok never let them have contact with the peasants, before you know it the next tantrum will take them too! And before you ask, only true nobles count. The mayor and his cronies are just common peasants with a bout of megalomania. They don't wear the holy purple in the nobles screen and aren't deserving of an own secure fortress. They'll die like every common rabble when the gobbos come and the Fortress Guard fails horribly like expected.

Warmduscher runs around babbling.
I hear the mayor gets to claim pretty much everything on expenses, though.  I mean, it's like he doesn't even have to pay for anything.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2009, 07:40:48 pm »

Four pictures for you.
1)
2)
3)
4)

1. Leaders are purple
2. Another One Bites the Dust, by Queen.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2009, 10:59:03 pm »

Fool! They lie to you. Administrator, hoardmaster and mayor are peasants pretending to be nobles. And your hammerer just wants to be closer to the folk. The NOBLES screen does not lie though!

See? The mayor is a lowly peasant! As is the manager and the hoardmaster and the broker! And the captain of the guard too! Noone can trick the nobles screen!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 11:00:50 pm by Dorten »
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 12:18:54 am »

hmm, how did this comment end up here?  strange...

Good idea on the separation thing.  I just drown mine.  Next time I'll dump them in magma (except for the Hammerer, his hammer's nice)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 12:26:11 am by Jhoosier »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 11:38:42 am »

The downside is that dead nobles are bad for immigrants, which everyone needs. Pre-40d you could make them fall asleep on cage traps and keep them alive, which meant they didn't get replaced OR cause unhappy thoughts. You could do this to your hammerer and other nobles that don't serve a function.

...now of course, they'll starve to death before they sleep on a trap, no matter what. :(

I image a proper noble capturing room would look like this:

+ = Wall
^ = Trap
: = bars
_ = Normal floor
D = Door
0 = Channel

Z0:
    +++
    +L+
+++D+
+_: ^+
+++D+

Z1:

_____
_0___
_____

Z2:

_+000
_____

This way, you can trigger a cavein (from the wall on Z2), after luring the noble in with a lever, and the dust comign through the bars should knock him out on the cage trap. Put your hammer in cold storage!
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 02:21:06 pm »

Essentially what my trap up above does, only that one is designed to crush them flat.
Unfortunately also destroys the mechanism...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 02:23:05 pm by zchris13 »
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: 1 [2]