Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: glass floors  (Read 831 times)

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
glass floors
« on: May 24, 2009, 03:45:30 am »

I don't suppose there's a way to make a see-through floor?  I tried building a clear glass floor, but it's just greenish-blue.  I was hoping to get some see-through floors and put magma/water under it.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: glass floors
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 03:53:15 am »

Nope. You'll have to play pretend.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 04:16:11 am »

Or not use a floor :P

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 07:49:11 am »

Well, I was hoping to have a dining hall over glassed-in magma and water.  I don't think not using a floor is an option.  Well, it is, but I don't want to kill the dwarves, at least not yet.

Also, can you pit a titan?

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 08:26:59 am »

Don't. Try. It. Seriously, if he's tasted dwarf blood, just CAGE him. Otherwise, if he hasn't, tame (modding would be required) him and THEN pit him.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 08:36:10 am »

Build a grid in which the lines are constructed floors.  In the gaps, build clear glass bridges.  Then hide the bricks that compose them.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 08:55:14 am »

Well, the titan killed one before he got caught, so I guess taming him is out.

I've almost got my project done, and I spent all this time finding the right colored rocks, so I don't think that's gonna happen.  Maybe next time.  I'm making a dining room in the shape of a pixelated Mario, and I wanted to have magma for his hat/shirt and water for his coveralls.  I'll get the blue part with a fountain.  I'm going to try out a floodgate system and try to make a little water park.  I'll probably end up flooding the whole thing, but it'll be fun either way.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 10:20:27 am »

Uh, out of morbid curiosity did you make a fountain by tapping source water on a level higher than the fountain and directing it under it? You better install a floodgate in that channel to deal with any unpleasant surprises.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 10:31:13 am »

Build cage, pit the entire cage, link to lever, pull lever.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 11:06:02 am »

For the pool, I'm going to try to follow this guy's example:  http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1360

There will be backup floodgates/doors, just in case the game tries to get weird, or a salmon jams in one of the gates.  That will just be to let some water in, I plan on having it mostly be a closed-loop, with pumps to bring water up and make a big dual waterfall.

I can set up the cage and tie it to mechanisms, but that's not nice and tidy, I'll have an extra cage and mechanism down there.  I've got about a dozen gobbos trapped up, so we're going to have a big-'ol fight soon in the Goombarena.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 12:35:17 pm »

titan will waste anything until you get about 8 in there.  Then he gets overexerted.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned