Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: AHK and Vista  (Read 833 times)

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
AHK and Vista
« on: April 17, 2009, 06:06:51 pm »

Well, I've got a Vista computer, and I'm having some trouble with circle-creating macros, so if anybody could get me an AHK script to make a circle, I would greatly appreciate it.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: AHK and Vista
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 06:09:34 pm »

What's AHK?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 06:10:34 pm »

Only if you come up with an explanation for how tech support questions for non-B12 stuff belongs in the "DF GENERAL DISCUSSION" portion of the forum.

Also, you could probably google it yourself and find an answer.   It'd be better that way, since you've told us nothing at all about what you're having trouble with.

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 06:26:31 pm »

Well, I've been wanting to create circles in a new fortress of mine, and I grabbed an AHK (Auto Hot Key, it's a macro program) script from the circle template thread, put that in a script, and when I run it, I get an error that says something like line 38 has error, something like "y > rad/2" and below that, "not a valid function" I think.
Edit: I thought this belonged in general because I'm attempting to use AHK for DF, to create circles.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 06:36:29 pm »

You didn't define what AHK was, so I had no idea it was DF related.   Again, AHK is a third party program, and not really Toady's domain.   If it had a thread on the forums, posting there would be most beneficial.

Edit:  What I'm trying to say is that it sounds like a bug in AHK, not Vista related.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 06:38:01 pm by Capntastic »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 07:16:24 pm »

AHK is often used in DF for mass-producing complicated designation shapes. I see no problem with asking here for help with it.

Anyways, I use Vista and AHK, and I don't have any problems with it. I think you're better off just scripting all the keyboard commands than using some fancy-schmancy math, though.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 07:25:41 pm »

I see no problem with asking here for help with it.

Eh, one of the key reasons Toady's leery of all these 3rd party things is because people will expect support for them.   Here, in this thread, we see someone asking the forum at large for help, instead of asking, say, the creator of the program itself.   Or in some AHK thread.

Note: I've been somewhat involved in the DF community since day one and I didn't know what AHK is.   Clearly, the issue is asking for help in the best spot.

teethering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 11:06:08 pm »

Shad0wyone, you might want to check out this topic http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=28841.msg537104#msg537104

AHK macros/keyboard input in general appear to be buggy in 40d11.

Oh and good job captn topic police over there  ::)  You're providing a useful and valuable service.  Keep it up.