Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Edible Vermin  (Read 842 times)

Redgaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Edible Vermin
« on: May 20, 2009, 11:28:06 am »

I don't know if this has been posted before, but is there a mod that can make vermin edible/breedable? I wanted to use the massive stock of vermin that I had as a food source, but then I discovered that they can't be butchered. Anything out there that'll allow Urist Mcmason enjoy a nice rat pie?
All I do, I do for !!SCIENCE!!

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
Re: Edible Vermin
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 12:14:02 pm »

Vermin are edible raw. I don't think you can cook them, though.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Redgaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 12:34:25 pm »

Thats not what I meant though... I mean a mod where vermin have genders, can breed and can be cooked, either wholesale or after butchering.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 12:45:41 pm »

Sorry. You might be able to smelt them into meat or something, but the only breeding they'll do is to spawn ad infinitum all over your fort.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 01:27:37 pm »

Vermin are edible raw. I don't think you can cook them, though.

I think there's a COOKABLE_LIVE tag for cave lobsters or something.  I won't go so far as to claim it actually does anything, but it's there.

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 11:57:08 pm »

Does taking the [VERMINE] tag out count?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 08:10:06 am »

It should stop it from being a vermin, but that would cause all of the other vermin tags to stop working. It would probably be faster if you just recreated a creature from the ground up and named it salamander with the '.' tile than it would be to delete all the tags on the old salamander and then do the same thing.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Redgaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 01:47:20 am »

Just as an experiment, I added the BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD tag to lizards, just to see what it would do, and now I have my dorfs running around in lizard leather socks... A partial success, it seems. I also made rats milkable, and lowered the value of cheeses made from them a bit, but I thought rat cheese would be a bit more dwarfy than maggot cheese, no?

Redgaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 01:53:31 am »

The thing about the VERMIN tag is that I'm afraid that if I take it out it will remove the auto-spawning that occurs with vermin, and thus defeat the point of what I was trying to achieve. To clarify: Urist McChef has run out of plump helmets to cook into tasteless biscuits for his dwarf brethren. He decides to move onto the booze, blatantly ignoring the cage next to him which is full to the brim with two legged rhino lizards. Why doesn't he cook a few of those into a nice pie or maybe a salad with lizard garnish? I'll try the COOKABLE_LIVE tag when I can stomach another world generation and post the results.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 08:41:46 am »

If your just adding a tag you shouldn't need a world gen, it is just if you add entries that you would need one.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Redgaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 12:36:36 pm »

kthx ;D