Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zombie Game: rules  (Read 3882 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Zombie Game: rules
« on: May 20, 2009, 12:34:08 am »

I figure it might be possible to have some fun trying to survive the zombie apocalypse...

I have the following hopes:
If you don't post nothing happens to you.
No host required.
Not too serious.

Every time someone posts, they add zombies, gain item points, do stuff, then the zombies advance on them, in that order. Your distance from the nearest zombie remains the same from the end of your previous post to the start of your next post, as do item points.

Order of events:
1 Player gains item points and uses up supplies.
2 New zombies spawn.
3 Player performs actions.
4 zombies advance.
5 zombies attack.
6 results are recorded.

Zombie tracking:
 At the end of each post, the player records their own range from the nearest zombie. The 5 nearest groups of zombies then have their range and number recorded. The rest of the zombies have their nearest range, furthest range, and total number of zombies recorded, they are assumed to be spread evenly within that range, fractional zombies are at the nearest range, either that or their severed head is rolling towards you...
Record the number of zombie groups destroyed, every time a group of zombies is destroyed, all other players add 1 to their range from the nearest zombie.

New players: get 1 bag, 1 supplies, and 3 other items of their choice at the start of their post, otherwise it is the same.

Every post:
if there are zombies at range 10, add 5 to that group
 if not, then if there are zombies at range 11, add five to that group
  if not, then if there are zombies at range 12, add six to that group
   if not, then create a group of 5 zombies at range 10.
The player then adds 10 to their item points, 11 if they have a radio.
The player then makes 10 actions, 11 if they have a cape.
The zombies reduce their range from the player by 5, to a minimum of zero.
 If any zombies are at range zero, and the player has armour capacity, then they start gnawing on the player's armour.
  If the players armour is at capacity then they start clawing at the player. Each time a player is clawed they lose one item, if the player has no items, then the player loses a player, and the zombies gain a zombie.
The player then records the zombies' positions.
All items and their range from the zombies are tracked, items can be transferred between players this way, but they will quickly be trampled into oblivion...

Actions:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Weapons: (where a number of uses is specified, 1 use is lost whenever the 'Attack' action is performed with that ammo or item for every zombie killed)

Armour:
Better armour increases the number of zombies required to kill you, with good armour you can have a couple gnawing on you and ignore them.

Other items:

I am thinking that more player interaction would be nice...

It seems to me that people can just run away for a few posts and get free item points, but I would like it to be possible for a pacifist to go running around finding stuff for other players...

I have not figured out item costs, I would like weapons to be expensive to encourage people to choose a weapon at the start, sunglasses, backpacks, and radio also...

Anyway, if this could be turned into something that might actually be fun that would be great!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 08:08:55 am by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Game: rules
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 12:36:00 am »

In!
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 12:44:56 am »

Cool, this thread is for figuring out the rules, once they are settled then other threads can play the game, many other threads, and the game can be started in existing threads, and soon the whole forum will be nothing but zombie games shambling about destroying people's minds...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 07:08:13 am »

Well, nothing quite like a trial run for finding out if something won't work. For the purposes of this experiment, supplies and fuel cost 10, ammo costs 20, grenades cost 40, and everything else costs 200. Also sunglasses don't cause you to lose items...

I start with a plastic bag, some stale cornchips, a sniper rifle with 20 rounds of ammunition, and a walkman.

I eat some chips, they are stale.
5 dead people turn up and want to be friends, I feel nervous about the situation...
{some rules concerning buildings and other terrain might be nice, especially if people are running around in each other's buildings...}
11 item points.
1 I scream hysterically and blindly run down a corridor, I am trapped.
{sniper rifle might work if I abuse last stand, it may also work if there was some way to maintain distance, the whole, 'zombies start at range 10' thing is a bit miserable for people with long range weapons}
9 I turn around, raise my rifle, and blow off 4 of their heads.
{that was brutal, but it might get interesting if people manage to let the zombies build up some numbers}
10 "that felt good" I step towards the last one, and take aim.
It promptly lurches towards me.

I am making my last stand, I am at a range of 4 from escape.
The nearest zombie is 4 away.
Range 4: 1 zombie

{new players start at range 10 from the nearest zombie, I need to mention that...}
{maybe there should be a few extra zombies at the start of the game...}

{The first thread of this has to be called "I can has brain: Attack of the zombie kittens!"!}
Read the First Post!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 09:36:39 pm »

{2 in a row misses some stuff, but keeps it going...}
Mmmmmmm, I am starting to like the stale(1 remaining)
Hey look, more friends, they can join my other friends...
22 item points.
8 Speaking of which, BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM. The 4 nearest heads burst(hmmmm, I suppose I must not have a head...).
2 I take 2 more steps forward.

Last stand(2)
range 3
Range 3: 2 zombies
Read the First Post!

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 08:38:09 pm »

Can you put bags in backpacks?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 01:05:00 am »

The rules are still being made, so it is an option, but personally I would say that you could, but that it would use up a slot in the backpack and wouldn't grant any extra capacity.

Bag: allows you to carry 3 items in one hand.
Backpack: allows you to carry 3 items on your back.
By the current wording I think that if you have a backpack then you can hold a bag on your back, and that that lets you carry 3 items on one of your hands, even though the bag is not in the hand...

Bags are not really covered well at the moment, there need to be rules about what exactly can and can't be done while holding something, maybe some weapons should be two-handed...

Any suggestions?

{3 in a row, still no data on interaction between players, but, oh well...}

Mmmmm, there are some ancient crumbs in the bottom of this bag, they taste salty...(0)
Five more zombies, I gotta get out of this place...
33 item points
4Sight head, pull trigger, eject cartridge. Head, trigger, eject. 8Head, trigger, eject. Head, trigger, eject. My finger is getting tired...
I take one more 9step forward, ooooh, there is something under that rug. Is it? Is it? Could it be? YES! A french fry(3)! I am saved!!! 10I pick it up(23 item points).

Last stand(1)
Range 4
Range 4: 3 zombies
2 groups destroyed.
Read the First Post!

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 01:50:55 am »

Aren't you supposed to make a new group of zombies EACH post?
Also, need to clarify how the events in each turn happen. Which has priority? Zombie spawning, advancement, attacks, or player actions? Do zombies advance on their spawning turn?

Weapons spawn with ammo, and do not take one of the three item slots.

Bag, semi-automatic rifle, backpack, food.

Actions:
10 Shoot five zombies (the ones that spawned on my turn, I guess).

10 item points.

Do I include the zombies in your post? How does the range they are at for you match up with the range they are at for me? Range conlifcts between players.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 07:25:44 am »

Aren't you supposed to make a new group of zombies EACH post?
Yes, every time I have been adding five and killing 4, so the first time I killed 4 and there was 1 left, then I killed the last of that group and left the next group with 2...
So I was adding a group each post, but there was only ever one group by the end of it.

Also, need to clarify how the events in each turn happen. Which has priority? Zombie spawning, advancement, attacks, or player actions? Do zombies advance on their spawning turn?
What do you mean by priority?

It happens in order:
1 Player uses supplies.
2 Zombies spawn.
3 Player gains item points.(I should probably move this to 2, it really doesn't matter, all that matters if whether they get them before or after their actions)
4 Player takes actions.
5 Zombies move.
6 Zombies attack.
7 Results of post are recorded.

Currently, all zombies move and attack at 5 and 6, including the new arrivals.

Weapons spawn with ammo, and do not take one of the three item slots.
Is this a suggestion or a statement?
Currently the bag and food do not take up slots, and ammo is separate from weapons. But a free weapon and ammo would ensure that everyone started fighting from the outset and nobody just turned up and spawned up an army while saving up for weaponry. Speaking of which, I haven't been tracking my ammo, I will need to make a note of that in the fist post...

Bag, semi-automatic rifle, backpack, food.

Actions:
10 Shoot five zombies (the ones that spawned on my turn, I guess).

10 item points.

Do I include the zombies in your post? How does the range they are at for you match up with the range they are at for me? Range conlifcts between players.
New players start at range 10 from the nearest zombie group, and then add 5 to that group.

At the end of your post you record your distance from the nearest zombie and you start your next post at the same range.

Last stand(1)
Range 4
Range 4: 3 zombies
2 groups destroyed.
I left it with one group of three zombies at range 4. They are the nearest group so a new player starts at range 10 from them. The new player then spawns 5 that get added to that group, there are now 8 in that group. You killed 5 of them leaving 3, which then advance, leaving 3 zombies at range 5.
Next post you will start at range 5 from the nearest group, whatever that is.

Assuming that I go next, I will start at range 4 from the group of 3 that you left, because I was that distance from the nearest zombie at the end of my last post.

I am thinking that if a bunch of new players all signed up at once then it could quickly lead to a massive super-group...

Please remember, this thread is to determine the rules, so PLEASE mention it if you would like something changed, or have a suggestion.

I will add a modified turn order to the first post...

Now my next turn.

34 item points. I break off a third of my french fry(2) and eat it, it is soggy...
5 more zombies turn a corner and start lurching towards me.
One more time I [8]shoot 4 zombies with my sniper rifle(4).
I[9]leap out of a window and escape from the dead end, then I [10]run away from the zombies. Undeterred by the pile of recently disanimate corpses before them, the 4 remaining zombies shamble hungrily towards me.

range 5.
range 5: 4 zombies.
3 groups destroyed.{because another group was destroyed everyone else's range increases by 1, So virroken will now be at range 6 from the nearest zombie at the start of their next post.}
Read the First Post!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 03:38:28 am »

range 5.
range 5: 4 zombies.
3 groups destroyed.

45 item points. Hmmm, another third of that french fry(1), I could have sworn that I saw it wriggling...
5 zombies arrive and join the chase. I [4]shoot(3) one of the nearest group and [10]stumble back 3 steps with the shuffling menace closing fast.

range 3.
range 3: 3 zombies.
range 8: 5 zombies.
3 total groups destroyed(TGD).
Read the First Post!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 08:05:16 am »

New character, their name shall be... Second!

Second:
range 10.
range 310: 3 zombies.
range 815: 5 zombies.
3 total groups destroyed(TGD).{looking over the gear again 1 use per zombie is silly for weapons that can kill more with one shot than they have ammo. Changing it to 1 use per use shot...

Shotgun, shades, backpack, bag, tin of spam(3).

10 item points. wow, this spam(2) tastes like spam...
Woah, dude, are those zombies? Man, I was sure it was going to be aliens this time.
{hmmm, I am adding an action to find more item points}
I gotta get my stash and go. [10]search(15 item points) [11]run.
Quit hassling me!(zombies advance 5)

range 6.
range 6: 8 zombies.
range 11: 5 zombies.
3 TGD.
Read the First Post!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 10:01:18 pm »

First for that shall be my name:
range 3.
range 3: 8 zombies.
range 8: 5 zombies.

56 item points, sigh, the end of the french fry(0), such fond memories...
Even more zombies show up, but there is some good news, I [1]catch(46) a tasty-looking cockroach(3) and [2]find(6) a couple of hand grenades(2) under a counter. [10]Walking away from the zombies seems to be a good idea now...

range 2.
range 2: 8 zombies.
range 7: 5 zombies.
range 9: 5 zombies.
Read the First Post!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 03:42:06 am »

Second:
range 6.
r6:8Z
r11:5Z
r13:5z
20ip, please, no more spam(1), I can't take it any more! [1] I am not leaving this spot till there is more than spam to look forward to. [2] it(0) is a good thing that I had some shotgun(8) shells that I forgot about. [5] I walk up to the nearest zombie and [6] shoot(7) it, its friend, [9] and(4) the other six it was hanging out with. And then [11]look(1) for some better food.

1ip, Shotgun, shot(4), shades, backpack, bag, tin of spam(1).
Last stand(2)
r8
r8:10z
r10:5z
4TGD.

{Hmmm, the views seem to be going up, if anyone feels like suggesting why my idea is stupid, I might be able to think of some way to improve it...}
Read the First Post!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 12:37:33 am »

First:
range 4{+1 range from a group being destroyed}
r4:10z
r6:5z
r10:5z{going to try adding the new ones at the start}
17ip{Item points have been drifting back, may as well formally put them in the intro stats}

Mmmmmm, legs(2) taste best, now that I have had something to eat I am ready to face some zombies. I [4]fire my rifle(3), 1 down, 9 to go, I [10]back off a little and try to come up with a plan.

17ip, sniper rifle(3), radio, bag, cockroach(2), grenades(2).
range 2:

r2:9z
r4:5z
r8:5z
Read the First Post!