Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Urist did it again!" Embark Woes  (Read 1081 times)

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Urist did it again!" Embark Woes
« on: May 21, 2009, 10:47:17 am »

'nuff said.

florian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Urist did it again!" Embark Woes
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 10:50:05 am »

I think a 4 tile long bridge only costs about 3 logs ...

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 10:56:16 am »

Except, you know, those three on the other side? They insisted on coming to the other side, all the way around the chasm.

There was a pack of trogles hunting naked mole things.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 11:11:24 am »

I'm sorry :(
On a related note, that is not the worst thing to have happened. I once embarked in the middle of a lava pipe. Shortest fortress ever.

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 12:32:37 pm »

I embraked once on a piece of stone floating in the air. When I started it ofcourse immediatly fell down and killed or severly injured all of my dwarves. I think they would have survived a month at most, because noone was able to move to get tot food or water.

Llamiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 05:06:25 am »

On my first embark I saw what looked like a big blue space next to some happy people gathered around a brown square. When I unpaused some letters came and started flashing around the happy people. Eventually nothing was moving. One of my earliest experiences in Dwarf Fortress was of learning to use the "k" tool and saying, "Why is there so much blood? Oh god... OH GOD IS THAT AN ARM?!?!"

On a more recent note, whenever I embark with a hunter they have a habit of immediately identifying the most badass thing on the map, and running straight for it. Screaming.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 05:24:23 am by Llamiel »
It's a shame that wagons explode at the sight of dreaded sea foam.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 09:24:48 am »

Except, you know, those three on the other side? They insisted on coming to the other side, all the way around the chasm.

There was a pack of trogles hunting naked mole things.

Activate them into the military and station them on that side while you build a bridge.

On a more recent note, whenever I embark with a hunter they have a habit of immediately identifying the most badass thing on the map, and running straight for it. Screaming.

These are Dwarves we're talking about. The same creatures that grab a crossbow and spend half an hour of real time carefully wasting over five hundred bolts taking potshots at a skeletal giant eagle that is happily flappitying around minding it's own buisness despite being repeatedly shot.