Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cheating utillities without cheating  (Read 1350 times)

a.random.persona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cheating utillities without cheating
« on: May 25, 2009, 09:49:31 pm »

Im just wondering if there is anyone else who uses utillities such as dwarf companion to see how and what their dwarves are doing without pausing.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Cheating utillities without cheating
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 11:24:35 pm »

Naw, I don't use it, but I wouldn't consider it cheating. I use dwarf manager to allocate jobs logically (which in no way resembles cheating, except you can give nobles and children jobs) and 3Dwarf to visually plan out my fortress sometimes. Like checking moods with dwarfcompanion, these all ultiamtely just overcome interface issues.

Although if you use dwarf foreman to set your nobles for butchering, I'd totally not call that cheating.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

a.random.persona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 12:29:53 am »

Yeah. I would never use the Reveal utility again because it takes all the fun out of finding HFS, and you dont get the "praise the miners" when you hit adamantine.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 12:45:04 am »

I also noticed a problem with reveal... it makes all the stuff in HFS disappear. Found it with a bunch of stuff in it, revealed it and there was nothing.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

CarsonCity314

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 12:54:31 am »

This isn't exactly a cheat, but more of an exploit.  I'll spoiler tag it regardless:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 10:36:09 am »

the reveal utility that comes with the dwarfcompanion doesn't break discoveries made my miners. It's a hell of a lot slower than the one in Tweak but... it doesn't break discovers.