Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Underground river: where is it?  (Read 2070 times)

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underground river: where is it?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 08:11:37 pm »

Semi-related note: Underground rivers end in small bottomless pits. In what manner do they start?
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 08:15:46 pm »

Literally from nothing. A waterfall will just appear out of solid rock, and digging out the layer of rock above and around the waterfall will just yield dry stone.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 09:05:20 pm »

Literally from nothing. A waterfall will just appear out of solid rock, and digging out the layer of rock above and around the waterfall will just yield dry stone.

And probably flood your fortress.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 09:42:38 pm »

only need to go down maybe a half-dozen z-levels, rivers are rarely very deep.

I think 'rarely' is an exaggeration. The dwarf heaven site has the river 23 z-levels down. I've had quite a few sites where it was near the bottom of the map.

schm0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 12:56:47 pm »

i have an underground river somewhere on my map, and i even know the general area. is there an easy way to find it?

Here's what I do:

If you know the specific tile where the river enters, savescum a copy of your world and embark on precisely the same site with 7 miners, make some beds, and start digging one-tile wide paths around the general vicinity of that embark tile on multiple z-levels. 7 miners should be able to find it within the first season. Mark the z-level and location of the river, reload your original game and you'll know precisely where it is.

I'm very adamant (pun?) about planning around features rather than just discovering and adapting.

The technique about zooming to creatures or bones may be useful, although I haven't personally tested this one out yet. :)
schm0
-------------
Nuk: lol schm0, u r da funnay
Nuk: i lik u

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2009, 07:50:50 pm »

Gotta say, I'm appalled by some of the brute force and ham-fisted methods suggested here to find an UG river. It's just not that hard.

One highly skilled miner can find it in about a week all by themselves with shafts, if you paid any attention at embark.  And shafts are far more efficient, tiles dug vs tiles revealed, than any tunnel.  You also tend to crack the top, rather than the side, and so fewer unpleasant encounters - as in "none".

But whatever floats yer boat.
Pages: 1 [2]