Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I can't find flat ground...  (Read 2567 times)

avari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I can't find flat ground...
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 11:01:45 am »

About aquifers, I would like again to point out that removing all [AQUIFER] tags from the layer raws works wonders.

I suppose this might be called "cheating", though, if you are averse to such things. Personally I usually never embark on an aquifer anyway so all this does is save me loads of frustrating effort in choosing a location. I must confess that before finding out this possibility, I regarded the ubiquitous aquifers as one of the most irritating features of DF.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 12:30:50 pm »

My swamp is almost perfectly flat (one little bit in the corner which I could get rid of, if I wanted to).  I recommend a nice temperate swamp.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 12:34:00 pm »

You may have trouble finding a flat area with no aquifer though; DF seems to be positively obsessed with putting aquifers in every single desert, forest and shrubland it can find; and those are the flat bits of the world.

The most you're going to find is a stream without an aquifer, too. Every body of water bigger than that is, without exception, surrounded for tiles and tiles by aquifer. Pretty freaking annoying.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 01:12:54 pm »

Flat is easy to find. Unless of course you want magma, flux stone, a river, sand, no aquifer, HFS, sedimentary layers, ect like I do... Then it gets very tricky to find.

The advantage of flat is it requires less CPU cycles... Unfortunately, on the maps where you would build a huge city (best resources, like the above) the terrain is often 10 or more elevation changes.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 01:14:47 pm »

Wait, so you're trying to find mountainous features on a flat map?  That might explain your problems.

avari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 04:40:26 pm »

As far as I know, of the above features only HFS is only found in mountain tiles. I'm not sure if magma, flux, etc. are more common in mountains, but they can definitely be found in relatively flat areas as well. However, there are a few other features that can only be found in mountainous areas (chasm, cave river).

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 06:15:56 pm »

Exponent has the right of it. All 10s is not, in fact, as flat as all 1s. Any non-zero number in a section means that there is elevation change in that section. If there's an 8 in the section, that means that the difference between the highest and lowest z-levels in that 48x48 area is 8.

The only time I've had large variances is when there is variance between the diff numbers.  I distinctly remember embarking on a map with all big numbers, and finding a very disappointing billiard table.  One with a LOT of levels beneath it, but flt as a board.

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2009, 06:30:43 pm »

why not puncture the aquifer and use it as a water source?
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2009, 11:56:24 pm »

Albedo: I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean about "billiard table", but there's no guarantee as to the distribution of the Z-levels within a given region. You could get an even slope from one end to the other, but you're more likely to get a very steep slope across a dozen or so tiles.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2009, 01:38:17 am »

You may have trouble finding a flat area with no aquifer though; DF seems to be positively obsessed with putting aquifers in every single desert, forest and shrubland it can find; and those are the flat bits of the world.

The most you're going to find is a stream without an aquifer, too. Every body of water bigger than that is, without exception, surrounded for tiles and tiles by aquifer. Pretty freaking annoying.

This is wrong. You just have to hunt for them, and possibly gen multiple worlds. I've gotten major rivers with aquifer-free soil layers.

I often do flat maps; again, it's just a matter of genning standard sized worlds and looking around. Look everywhere, even at the peripheries of mountain ranges. You should be able to find something within a few minutes.

I usually do 3x3 embarks, so it's easier to find a perfectly flat one, but vanilla world-gen will spit out a LOT of areas with only zero and 1 elevation changes in non-aquifer biomes.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2009, 12:47:58 pm »

As far as I know, of the above features only HFS is only found in mountain tiles. I'm not sure if magma, flux, etc. are more common in mountains, but they can definitely be found in relatively flat areas as well. However, there are a few other features that can only be found in mountainous areas (chasm, cave river).

And volcanoes. They have a chance of generating mountain-related things too. Good to know if you want to have a good source of wood, magma, HFS, chasm...
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2009, 12:37:53 am »

About aquifers, I would like again to point out that removing all [AQUIFER] tags from the layer raws works wonders.

I suppose this might be called "cheating", though, if you are averse to such things. Personally I usually never embark on an aquifer anyway so all this does is save me loads of frustrating effort in choosing a location. I must confess that before finding out this possibility, I regarded the ubiquitous aquifers as one of the most irritating features of DF.

Sounds like something I could do. Those aquifers are annoying for sure.
Pages: 1 [2]