Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Framerate in Fortress mode  (Read 935 times)

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Framerate in Fortress mode
« on: May 28, 2009, 06:03:32 pm »

So I've been dinking around with my init file to try and maximize my framerate and I can't seem to get above 300 fps on a fresh embark. This is more than fast enough, the problem is it drops down to 5-10 fps when the fort is "fully operational". So I figured I would ask on the forums which combinations work best for everyone. I know they will all be different, but just to get an idea and to help out other people that might be having framerate issues.

I was thinking a format like this would be easiest to read and understand:
Running: Heavily modded 40d11
Processor: Dual 1.73 GHz (Laptop)
RAM: 2 GB
Framerate: 7 dwarves - 300 fps, 150 dwarves - 5 fps
Init variables:
Print mode: Standard
Single buffer: No
G_FPS_Cap: 10
Temperature: No
Weather: No

And of course any other information you think would be useful.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
Re: Framerate in Fortress mode
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 02:01:29 pm »

G_FPS_Cap is the setting that has the greatest impact on my framerate.  I regularly get 150 FPS (which is my preferred play-speed for the early game) until I get about 100 dwarfs, or crack into fluid dynamics.  When my animal population starts to balloon things get messy.  I'd love to hear from someone who can explain in layman's terms what the various Print_Mode options do, but I don't expect you'll see much difference. 

For a multi-core machine you may want to boot the machine fresh, set explorer.exe to have a processor affinity of 0, and then force-quit as many underlying useless processes as possible.  Then start up DF, set its affinity to processor 1, and go forth.  Setting explorer's affinity forces all spawned processes to stay on Core 0, leaving all the juicy CPU cycles for you and Toady.

Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Framerate in Fortress mode
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 02:32:17 pm »

also, update your graphics card drivers.

That helps alot because it updates the OPEN GL drivers as well.

And since you're running to processer cores, its best to let it run off of one processor. there's instructions in the wiki.