Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Replaced clothing becomes unowned  (Read 1115 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Replaced clothing becomes unowned
« on: May 26, 2009, 09:31:14 pm »

I did a quick search, and while I saw plenty of suggestions for things to do with old clothing, nothing obviously matched this. It's pretty simple. When a dwarf stops wearing a given piece of clothing, it becomes unowned, or "fortress property".

This has two simple effects:

* Most importantly for many players, it can now be dumped, stored in stockpiles, and so on.
 * It opens up the possibility of poor dwarves wearing the castoffs from richer dwarves; discarded clothing will tend to be a bit worn, and thus not worth as much.

Practically speaking, no dwarf currently uses more than one set of clothes, so they have no need to own redundant clothing items. Eventually dwarves will presumably own multiple sets for different occasions, but that won't come until they have an intelligent clothes-swapping mechanism (which involves, as part of changing clothes, storing the unused set somewhere sensible). Even then, that won't solve the "I'm replacing this bit of clothing because it's too worn out" issue, though, where the dwarf effectively no longer wants the item in question.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Replaced clothing becomes unowned
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 01:10:58 am »

Dwarves do at least store the unused clothes somewhere sensible if they can -- in a cabinet in their room, if they have one.

Of course, if they get interrupted in the job to put it there or something, I think it just gets left out, but there's at least a little bit of that in already.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 04:24:03 pm »

/agree

Either limit dwarves to 1 of each clothing item, or perhaps items left on the floor are no longer marked as owned.

This would also help clear up the clutter from dwarves buying things from shops but then not putting away their new toys

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 07:09:50 pm »

Well i would like if the dwarfes would haul their rags to the refuse-stockpile before the they become unowned.

Fortress-property is a nice idea for the only a bit worn (and/or inherited) stuff but i would think a dwarf likes to keep his stuff till its worn out. They arent humans which need 3 sets of new clothes every season because there is a "color or style of the season".
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 01:14:37 am »

Well i would like if the dwarfes would haul their rags to the refuse-stockpile before the they become unowned.

Fortress-property is a nice idea for the only a bit worn (and/or inherited) stuff but i would think a dwarf likes to keep his stuff till its worn out. They arent humans which need 3 sets of new clothes every season because there is a "color or style of the season".

Dwarven high fashions cycles around about every 5 years when the king makes a mandate that everyone eschew their sensible pants and boots and shirts to trade them in for a simple loincloth in all regions.  Shortly afterward, he was executed by his most trusted advisors and replaced with a more sensible dwarf that simply demanded that horse leather was in season this half-decade, and for everyone to put up their dromedary leather until this time next century.
Computer says 'No'.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 02:40:47 am »

Medieval settings didn't have much in the way of fashion moguls telling gullible people what's cool and what isn't

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 04:34:20 am »

Medieval settings didn't have much in the way of fashion moguls telling gullible people what's cool and what isn't
There's always imitation of the next higher class by people of lower classes. It's how eating with forks and knives or pyjamas became common.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 04:36:53 am by Silverionmox »
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.