Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can someone explain dev language?  (Read 760 times)

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can someone explain dev language?
« on: May 19, 2009, 07:32:28 pm »

I've been keeping up with DF for three years now, but a lot of what Toady updates the dev log with confuses me. I haven't been able to find something to define the terms he uses, so I was hoping someone here could clear up the meaning of the following terms.

What are entities, or entity positions?
What are layers?
What are raws and what role do they play?

I guess that's it, but I might post more questions as I get them.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone explain dev language?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 07:43:32 pm »

Entities: Nations, town governments, priesthoods, and other such organizations in-game.

Layers: Tissues, new to this update.  Bodyparts will be made up of layered tissues.

Raws: All those txt files under /raw/objects in the game folder.  Right now, you can alter all creatures, wearable items, stones, soils, minerals, gems, plants, and decorative symbols.  Ultimately, Toady's goal is to make as much of the game as possible be drawn from the information in that folder and thus be editable.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 07:48:57 pm »

Entitys I can't really think about properly right now.  It's either individuals or civilisations created by worldgen.  Entity positions are things like a civilisation's king, high priest, particular cities mayors, guards, peasants stuff like that.  (hopefully somebody else will do better on this one)

Layers are the new way bodies are put together in the new materiel system. A creature is made up of layers of materiel now.  For example a dwarf would likely be an outer layer of skin material, the next layer being fat material, next being muscle material, then the stuff inside of each particular bodypart (bones, organs, brain that kinda thing) all made of their own material.

Raws are what modders like me like to mess with.  Their physical location is in the raw/objects folder.  They are basically a number of .txt files that contain the stats and behavioral data of creatures, metals, civilisations and things like that.  Basically anything moddable.  When toady says something is 'going in the raws' it basically means it will be modifyable by people as they please.

(Firefox isn't handy at the moment, pardon spelling)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 08:14:44 am »

Recent mention of "layers" actually refers to strata of underground features (especially the new underground features, like giant caverns and lakes).

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 09:49:43 am »

Oh, my bad then.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 12:28:37 pm »

Yeah, Toady usually specifies Tissue Layers when that's the object of current development. It's mostly contextual, though, so it's worth mentioning both possibilities.
!!&!!