Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I has a cool swimming pool  (Read 737 times)

Redhades

• Bay Watcher
  • That boy needs therapy
    • View Profile
    • My Linkedin.com profile is all bout me
I has a cool swimming pool
« on: May 22, 2009, 10:52:35 pm »

I just made this cool swimming pool to train my dwarfs with some swimming skills.
I have a setup of floodgates linked to pressure plates inside the pool. Those floodgates alternated their open and closed state until an equilibrium of water level is reached (4 to 5). This is where both floodgates stay shut, leaving the dwarfs inside swimming and safe.
A door inside the pool is manually locked to keep them inside. Even babies and children can safely float in there.

I made teh movies! http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1360  ;D
The setup there is bit weird because of my previous failed attempt at a screwpump driven system.
It also had issues with dwarfs flowing through wall grates, so I fixed it with a floor grate instead, which doesn't have this bug.

FellMoodFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I has a cool swimming pool
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 10:58:19 pm »

I briefly tried making one.  Started working on it, looked up six hours later.  Something akin to a Fey Mood.
"I must have dwarves!  I must have water!  I must have speedos!"
Sadly, mine sucked.  This one looks quite impressive and cool, though.  Much congratulations on it, heh.
The denser the dwarf, the more likely he'll survive his stupidity.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 11:26:24 pm »

Ooh, nice. Have you considered expanding it?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 11:26:42 pm »

I had an idea for a swimming pool. Essentially, it was citizen activated pressure plates linked to retractable bridges over pools. A dwarf would run across the bridge to do something (pull a lever, for example), activate the pressure plate, and then be immediately dumped into the water and get forced to swim out.

Yours is a much more elegant solution, though.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 11:43:51 pm »

And they'll wrestle in it!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Redhades

• Bay Watcher
  • That boy needs therapy
    • View Profile
    • My Linkedin.com profile is all bout me
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 01:38:07 am »

I had an idea for a swimming pool. Essentially, it was citizen activated pressure plates linked to retractable bridges over pools. A dwarf would run across the bridge to do something (pull a lever, for example), activate the pressure plate, and then be immediately dumped into the water and get forced to swim out.

Yours is a much more elegant solution, though.

The problem with falling in water, is that it can cause the dwarf to panic in the water, according to the wiki. So I wanted to avoid that.

And they'll wrestle in it!

Not in this case. They just get gently stirred. Maybe if I put a weapon rack in there and make is a barrack. But they might be too busy with their swimming.
I'll try it out just to see.