Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drowning chamber: lessons learned  (Read 1524 times)

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
Drowning chamber: lessons learned
« on: May 18, 2009, 11:35:30 am »

I've learned a few things after building and testing my drowning chamber for prisoners.

1) A wall grate to prevent escape up into the reservoir is useless if prisoners can get around it diagonally.

2) Reservoirs need emergency flush systems for cases when something dies inside them.

3) Why didn't I just build the stupid thing outdoors? It's easier to operate and safer.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Drowning chamber: lessons learned
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 04:09:26 pm »

It's easier to operate and safer.
You're no dwarf.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 05:47:58 pm »

He can do both-not only build it outdoors, but make it the entrance to your fortress. It's what I'm doing with the 4 or so named alligators on my map, as soon as i catch them all (two down two to go-though it may be 3 after the last lemming rush). As a side note, I also have four hippos to keep guests company. They are ALSO in the entrance to the fortress. The magma pipe's the limit, as they say. You can make almost any deathtrap into your fortress entrance-do so.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 07:21:27 pm »

I would very much like to have a better death trap for an entrance, something more "Bridge of Khazad-Dûm"-ish. On the far west side of my map I have an area mined out that I'm prepping for a new entrance, but I'm wondering how effective that'll be. What I really wanted to do was have a setup where a narrow retracting bridge would cover a deep pit, and have that triggered by pressure plates so that if an enemy came through they'd be on the bridge when it collapsed.They'd then fall into the pit, and if they survived (unlikely) they'd have to walk back up stairs to the far end and repeat the cycle. However, since megabeasts standing on a bridge will prevent it from operating, that defeats the purpose.

I thought about maybe building several retracting bridges that would hold each other up, connected to the same lever, so even if one failed to retract it'd fall when the others dropped. But that'd mean rebuilding the bridge every time it triggered, which is too much of a pain in the butt.

My current entrance is a 3-wide, 10-long corridor mined with weapon traps--three weapons each, seven at the very end. All around outside I've booby-trapped it with cage traps. After I fought off the fourth siege, capturing about a third of the invading force and slaughtering another third--though they slaughtered a human caravan first--they seem to have lost some will to fight. Most recently the goblins showed up with just six ambushers and about as many thieves, albeit a couple of master thieves. The abundance of caged foes has propelled my interest in a better means of disposing of them.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 07:31:05 pm »

ARENA BATTLES!!!!!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 07:19:07 am »

My first drowning chamber was filled through a large murky pool. While at only 4/7, the pool dried up. I'd also forgotten to put in a fortification to prevent the goblin from swimming towards the pool and he did just that, disappearing into the tunnels. I had to mine out a tunnel above the tunnel, channel the floor directly above the escaped prisoner, and station a marksdwarf. These days all my drowning chambers are aquifer powered and HEAVILY fortified.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Pjoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 07:20:31 am »

Drowning MAGMA chamber