Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Order and number of main attacks  (Read 580 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Order and number of main attacks
« on: May 17, 2009, 07:16:08 pm »

I have a modded creature with the following attacks:

[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTOKEN:RF1:swipe at:swipes at:4:10:SLASH][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTOKEN:LF1:swipe at:swipes at:4:10:SLASH][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTOKEN:RA_W:slash at:slashes at:3:8:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTOKEN:LA_W:slash at:slashes at:3:8:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:2:6:PIERCE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH][SPECIALATTACK_INJECT_EXTRACT:50:100]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTOKEN:LB:bodyslam:bodyslams:8:20:BLUDGEON][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]

Will it use the attacks in that order, a random order, or pick one attack off the list? There's an entry in the vanilla raws that makes me think that multiple main attacks are used all at once, but I'm not too sure. I can't check due to a slow computer and zero experience with Adventure Mode.

On a semi-unrelated note, does the [EQUIPS] tag allow a creature to pick up and wield a weapon left behind by a fortress dwarf?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: Order and number of main attacks
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 07:32:13 pm »

If I remember correctly, enemies pick a random attack, so adding the same attack multiple times makes it more likely to be chosen.

And [EQUIPS] will let them pick up dwarf equipment, but they can only use the stuff if they're the right size.
Example: if the max size of a weapon is 8, and the monster is size 10, it won't be able to use the weapon.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 07:38:42 pm »

Weapons have a minimum size, not a maximum size.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure they pick main attacks at random.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 07:55:10 pm »

No max size? So that means a titan could wield a tiny dagger looted from a kobold?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 08:22:32 pm »

To pick bits of the kobold from his teeth hopefully.

I'd imagine it picks between the secondary attacks randomly also, when no main attack is possible?

If you have a creature that can kick or punch as its main attacks and bite as its secondary attack by default it would randomly pick between kicking and punching. If it lost its arms would it only kick? If it looses both arms and legs I'd imagine it would bite but I wonder if only loosing one main attack might cause a creature to use its secondary, anyone know?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 08:24:56 pm by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 08:37:03 pm »

Shame. I was hoping to tear off a couple of bodyparts and paint the floor before throwing the rest of the dwarf at the nearest object (or just steamrollering it on the way to the next target). I'll up the damage to compensate and double up on the gore and slash attacks. They're already very fast, so the relative number of attacks isn't a problem.

Quote from: ein
No max size? So that means a titan could wield a tiny dagger looted from a kobold?
Insult to injury. Sure, the titan could just squash you, but why make the effort? And for a bronze colossus, killing dwarves with the hangnail from hell is just good sport.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.