Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cakelie: there's science to do!  (Read 1584 times)

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
Re: Cakelie: there's science to do!
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 03:02:44 am »

Would there be some way to set it up so after the Succession game is over, the fortress is still ready to receive a reclaim force or an adventurer? (Still Alive.)
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 08:58:14 am »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll try to capture more of the feel of the game, rather than try to replicate the Aperture Science Enrichment Center.

I definitely want a sealed environment. Immigrants will only be allowed in if I need more test subjects. Caravans will be destroyed by ballista shot, to prevent outside interference. Incoming subjects will likely have to navigate swarms of invaders. This is all according to protocol.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 01:33:26 pm »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll try to capture more of the feel of the game, rather than try to replicate the Aperture Science Enrichment Center.

I definitely want a sealed environment. Immigrants will only be allowed in if I need more test subjects. Caravans will be destroyed by ballista shot, to prevent outside interference. Incoming subjects will likely have to navigate swarms of invaders. This is all according to protocol.
An island should prevent irritating immigrants/ ambushes (ambushes might kill "guardians" and jam traps).

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 01:40:22 pm »

An island should prevent irritating immigrants/ ambushes (ambushes might kill "guardians" and jam traps).

You'd have to have an embark site completely surrounded by water, as far as I know such a site is impossible. If you find one, post the seed though, I've been looking for such a site for ages!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 01:42:16 pm »

I thought volcanic island sites worked fine, as long as there was no other civ on your island.  Even though every entry tile wouldn't be watery, you'd think that the fact that no goblins/ humans/ dwarves/ elves exist on your island would be enough to keep em out.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 01:53:04 pm »

I thought volcanic island sites worked fine, as long as there was no other civ on your island.  Even though every entry tile wouldn't be watery, you'd think that the fact that no goblins/ humans/ dwarves/ elves exist on your island would be enough to keep em out.
migrants still arrive, though. Still, the idea is absolutely epic. Bonus chalange: as many surfaces as possible in the test chambers must be made out of white stone. Also, make gem windows with different coloured gems(This makes them cylce throught all the colours used, making them look like flashing lights if done right.) and stick notes into them that read like GLaDOS announcements. Including things like the popular 'The plump helmet roast is a lie' and 'The floor here will melt you, try to avoid it'.'
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 02:39:54 pm »

Well, immigrants normally just walk single file into whatever doom you've devised for them.  Sieges, on the other hand, might kill some boss monsters and randomly trigger traps (jamming them with legs).

Hmm... maybe something where one dwarf has to step on a trap to jam it, to let the others through... who to choose?

This is starting to sound more like Saw.
Pages: 1 [2]