Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BODY tokens, am I understanding this correctly?  (Read 590 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
BODY tokens, am I understanding this correctly?
« on: May 17, 2009, 04:55:20 pm »

I decided I wanted to add claws to lions and give them some more attacks. Other than giving my pigs a trotters bodygloss and snouts that smell I've not done anything with body tokens and am finding it harder going than other modding I have done.

So I have:
Code: [Select]
[BODY:CLAWS_CAT_FRONT]
[BP:CLAWS_CAT_FRONT:claws][CONTYPE:STANCE]

[BODY:CLAWS_CAT_REAR]
[BP:CLAWS_CAT_REAR:claws][CONTYPE:LIMB]
As Lions don't have digits in the raws currently I decided not to add them but I figured I need two sets of claws as the back legs have different type tags. I will be giving them [SMALL],[EMBEDDED] and [SKELETON] tokens most likely, definitely [SKELETON], that way skeleton lions will have claws still I hope.

The Lion body tokens now look like this:
[BODY:QUADRUPED:TAIL:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:MOUTH:CLAWS_CAT_FRONT:CLAWS_CAT_REAR]the new attack:
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTOKEN:CLAWS_CAT_FRONT:claw:claws:1:6:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
Does this all look correct? I only ask because although I know there are lions in my world I keep finding leopards instead, bad luck most likely.

Cheers.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BODY tokens, am I understanding this correctly?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 05:02:47 pm »

best way to test your creature is to put a file in the entity raw, which includes only the entries [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE] and [CREATURE:LION]. Then start one in adventure mode.

you don't need to do this, however. If you put in [BODYGLOSS:CLAW_FOOT] as a separate entry in the lion file, and then attach attacks to the feet, you'll get the same result without all the mess of extra bodyparts. Check out the dragon for what I mean.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 05:28:43 pm »

Ah fantastic, it seems to be working fine.
claws, right front paw

Currently lions have: [BODYGLOSS:PAW], I wanted them to have paws and claws although I think I see what you mean. What effect would giving them this have?
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:STANCE:claw:claws:1:6:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 06:10:58 pm »

I believe this also means that if your lion loses a claw/breaks a nail, it may spend the next year passing out from the pain.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 06:14:41 pm »

Right now your lions will have to sets of claws on each foot, one on their leg because the back claws attach to all 'limbs' and this includes the front two legs and the back two legs. They will have a second set because the front claws attach to all 'stance' body parts, which include the front two feet and the back two feet. As for the attack that you created, that should work fine and is often what is used in this version.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 06:20:27 pm »

Hmm Mount that certainly is a problem. Perhaps use of the [APERTURE] tag might help here, although claws are not an opening in the body making them indestructible unless a parent part is destroyed might stop this problem. Along with making them [EMBEDDED]. Then again this would mean they are practically not there at all.

i2amroy I had noticed that I don't need the rear set of claws to be separate just after testing them as an entity as Blakmane suggested. Glad to hear those attack tokens will create the desired results.

Seems I went about doing this the long unnecessary way. Cheers to everyone who posted.