Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pets with weapons.  (Read 842 times)

Wiseacre

• Bay Watcher
  • Licker of rogues
    • View Profile
Pets with weapons.
« on: April 14, 2009, 02:46:51 pm »

Is there a way to make a pet you can trade for pr buy from embark start with weapons, and armor? Like some sort of golem. I've tried to give them the CAN_CIv tags and some others, and I've seen if you give them the EQUIPs tag they start off with some clothes.

I'm thinking like Dwarf sized living statues.
Doing youtube stuff now, check me out!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0H15QEUIeG-GyFQY1Mu72Q

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pets with weapons.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 03:10:47 pm »

The tag you would need is [EQUIPS], but I don't think that it will work: As pets, they would only have wrestling skill (assuming that they came in as War Golems), so no free equipment, and you couldn't order them to pick anything up. They might generate the pickup equipment order for themselves, but it seems unlikely.

A better suggestion: build their equipment into the creature (damblock, enhanced natural attacks), and make sure that they have [CAN_LEARN] so that they become better at using it over time.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Wiseacre

• Bay Watcher
  • Licker of rogues
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 03:18:23 pm »

Not looking for free gear, just stronger pets/guardians.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 03:46:49 pm »

just make sure they don't have CAN_SPEAK, or they will be glitchy, getting elected mayor, stuff like that, I'm not sure if CAN_LEARN has that effect too though, I haven't tested it (although I would appreciate it if someone who did posted t heir results). Generally, giving them high DAM_BLOCK and higher damage for their attacks makes them stronger, as does increasing their size. Also, if you are making golems, be sure to give them the special attributes that the bronze colossus has, so you won't end up with golems fainting from pain whenever they sprain a pinky, or running away from the enemy in fear, or bleeding all over, getting paralyzed by a giant cave spider bite, etc.

Wiseacre

• Bay Watcher
  • Licker of rogues
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 08:54:55 pm »

Nothing wrong with a mayor I can mark to be slaughtered. Oh, and anyone happen to have a sword-arm tag handy I can use?

Also, the point where my attempts to make pets with weapons and the like breaks down is when I try to make them a CIV.

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 08:55:04 am »

Make them have a body part GOLEMHAMMER, or something attached to their arm, give it SKELETON. Then flag it for use to attack with. That way all your golems will attack with this "body part" without ever having to use equipment. Make it do the same damage as a hammer of course

GD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 12:16:28 pm »

I know how to create pets with weapons. Just add [PET_EXOTIC] and [COMMON_DOMESTIC] to your dwarfs(creature) and [USE_ANY_PET_RACE] to dwarfs civ(Entity). Here it is - tame peasants! Adding [trAINABLE] token help to create war peasants and hunting peasants.  :)

This work only if civ consists of this creatures. Other creatures don't want to execute any labor, except hunting. So creating slave race, like gremlins will work only with that race.