Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Royal Rooms  (Read 874 times)

a.random.persona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Royal Rooms
« on: May 24, 2009, 07:39:35 pm »

Ive never had a royal before so Ive never needed a royal room, but now Ive hit Adamantine, in the first year(I didnt realise It was there) and have had a King Arrive as a pesant. Try as I might I cant build a room that is classified as a royal bedroom. Ive got plenty of masterpiece furniture, is that what I should use or do I have to make an Artifact Quality furniture?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Rooms
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 07:46:30 pm »

You should make a large-ish room, then fully smooth and engrave it, and pile in as many artifacts as possible (though you might not have any in your first year). Otherwise, yeah, go with the masterpiece furniture.

I struck a platinum cluster while carving out bedrooms, and now, after fully engraving them, all twelve are either royal or great.

Good luck.

a.random.persona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 07:49:31 pm »

Thanks. I actually did get a Great room inside the Adamantine clusters. Pity I broke into the Demon Pits and my King is dead...

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 08:11:07 pm »

There's two keys to getting nice rooms: the first is size, and the second is engravings. Make a 10x10 room with high-quality engravings everywhere and it practically doesn't matter what furniture you have in it.

Though, since you have adamantine available, it's worth temporarily toggling its availability for crafts so you can make some raw adamantine furniture. That'll be worth a few thousand a piece, which'll easily put you over the top.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 08:40:41 pm »

Don't bother engraving until your engravers are at least legendary. Those masterwork engravings really go a long way.

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 03:09:03 am »

Magma... no wait, Magnetite I mean. Magnetite is the answer.

Magnetite comes in very large clusters, and the inherent value of that material is just great. It's very easy to get royal rooms just by digging out a large room and smoothing the floor / walls. As a bonus, you can make iron (or steel) furniture.

In a map with plenty of gems as well as sand and magma, I train gemcutters and gemsetters using raw green glass and my supply of trade goods until they are legendary. Then I just cram as many gems as I can on the furniture I place in the royal rooms. If the furniture is of common materials (such as a wooden bed) then it doesn't have to be masterwork -it adds an insignificant amount to the final value when decorated with masterwork star ruby.

Sir_Geo

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 03:46:50 am »

Next time you need to you can just make a 5x5 room and make one or two of the floor tiles out of raw adamantine-boom, royal rooms. You can keep the floors until you have your dwarfs trained enough to make masterworks or just leave it like that if you don't use the adamantine for other things.
The logistical problems dealing with a private space colony are at least as bad as dealing with the zombies.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5403-fortressdipped
Fortressdipped, my ice castle.

ampillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Video Stuffs!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 10:29:53 am »

Depending on your metals situation, you could always just make the required cabinets, chests, armor/weapon stands out of a valuable metal. I merely made them all out of gold/silver, and it didn't take much engraving afterwards to get them to royal.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 12:49:24 pm »

A room's royalty level is based entirely on its value, in dwarfbucks. Mechanisms can add vlaue as well, in fact they're better than satues because you can walk on tehm and they're worth more. Nobles just want a valuable room; they have no taste for interior design.

Check room values neccessary on the wiki.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei