Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So... Ocean...  (Read 1616 times)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
So... Ocean...
« on: May 13, 2009, 02:44:54 am »

Okay, I've modded in the race of terrors again. Wanted to install a vanilla version again, was having issues.

Anyways, I'm build on the ocean 8x8 with about 80 dwarfs averaging 45 FPS.

It's completely self sustaining annnnnnd I don't know what to do.

It's about 3 Z levels tall at about 60x60 tiles size for each z level.

I'm not getting any land animals at all which is kind of depressing, I had a masterful defense, then I cut it down to just 2 floodgates and 3 6x10 drawbridges.

>.>

I need a megaproject idea, but no a sculpter mega project.

I was thinking that largest possibly obelisks I could make on each side, just for SnG's.

I've thought about building else where because even though it's saltwater, I have a freaking well that could support at least 100 years of no booze and no refilling... It has a pump right next to it for instant refill.

I need ideas or place that I know the damn creature of death will show up...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's the bastard I can't get to show up. I had it show once in my previous install, but it doesn't show up as much as I'd like.... aka always.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
Re: So... Ocean...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 03:30:13 am »

Y'know. Submerged fortress.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 03:33:33 am »

Submerged like how? Going down Z-levels by using an insane array of screw pumps to lower water level just enough to place a wall? and repeat?

or start on land and tunnel many z levels under the ocean and then try to go up...?
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 03:46:42 am »

Submerged as in there is no part of the fortress sticking out from under the water.
If your fort is selfsufficient (which it is) it works. No trade is possible, obviously.
For bonus points, have a lot of windows instead of walls. And a fountain spouting up from the top.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 07:28:48 am »

That creature you got is pretty tame... try making it size 40+ with 6-20 damage on it's main attack. and 4-12 on its secondary. and at least 4 dam block.
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 08:01:40 am »

That creature you got is pretty tame... try making it size 40+ with 6-20 damage on it's main attack. and 4-12 on its secondary. and at least 4 dam block.

did you not notice thr 50:100 cluster number? :p

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 08:42:02 am »

If you have magma, lignite bins.

Also, your "Terror" is evil.  Evil creatures only show up on evil maps.  Remove the [EVIL] tag, and it should appear more often.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 01:20:39 pm »

Okay, I've modded in the race of terrors again. Wanted to install a vanilla version again, was having issues.

Anyways, I'm build on the ocean 8x8 with about 80 dwarfs averaging 45 FPS.

It's completely self sustaining annnnnnd I don't know what to do.

It's about 3 Z levels tall at about 60x60 tiles size for each z level.

I'm not getting any land animals at all which is kind of depressing, I had a masterful defense, then I cut it down to just 2 floodgates and 3 6x10 drawbridges.

>.>

I need a megaproject idea, but no a sculpter mega project.

I was thinking that largest possibly obelisks I could make on each side, just for SnG's.

I've thought about building else where because even though it's saltwater, I have a freaking well that could support at least 100 years of no booze and no refilling... It has a pump right next to it for instant refill.

I need ideas or place that I know the damn creature of death will show up...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's the bastard I can't get to show up. I had it show once in my previous install, but it doesn't show up as much as I'd like.... aka always.

I played that awesome map you genned with your DF folder, and I ended up playing as terror... :P
"If you can't build a tower upon a sheer cliff face over which you may throw precisely one hundred and fifty-two kittens and seven stalwart dwarves to their explosive doom some fifty stories below, then brother, your game ain't much of a sandbox, is it?"

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 08:02:36 pm »

How'd playing as a terror turn out?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 08:05:20 pm »

*cough*throattornoutbywolves*cough*-*cough*
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 09:12:48 pm »

So it wasn't too fruitful then... oh well.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 04:52:53 pm »

No, I have no idea, but that is what happens to adventurers.

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 06:51:08 am »

No, I have no idea, but that is what happens to adventurers.

Yes, that. Or they get encased in/by ice.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 08:05:43 pm »

Ice is nasty stuff. Or just not being able to fast travel, and running out of water.  Because it is frozen.