Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Teleporter  (Read 941 times)

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
Dwarven Teleporter
« on: May 16, 2009, 10:15:11 am »

My latest megaproject involves clearing levels out around my fortress, which I'm doing by the ol' collapsing support method.

The last section I went to collapse didn't...  and when I checked I realised it was at the bottom of a stairwell and was basically hanging off the up-stairs.  So I re-built the support and then removed that section of stairs.   (Then realised it'd be a bad idea to collapse it anyway, 'cos I had bedrooms on the floor underneath.  D'Oh!)

The odd thing is that I decided to rebuild those bottom stairs to give my dorfs access to channel it out, removing it that way instead, but when I went back to designate them there were half-a-dozen confused dorfs milling around on the cleared level!

Odd!  How'd they get there?  I think they came in to remove stones by dropping down through the down-stairs in the level above, but couldn't get out again because there were no matching up stairs.

I decided to remove the stairwell altogether, and build a new one off to one side of the area I wanted gone.  So I removed all the rest of the up/down stairs, except for the down-stair at the highest level.  Then I went back down to the lowest level to build a floor across a channel to get the dwarfs trapped there out and back to work...

...and I'll be buggered!  Even more dwarfs are appearing there as I watch!  I flick back up through the other z-levels...  no stairs, no ramps, no dwarves in sight...  Until at the very top, the only section of stairs I didn't remove...  there's a queue of dwarfs all waiting for their turn. 

In they go...  and miraculously appear almost instantly some 8 z-levels down where the stairway used to finish.  No injuries, no complaints.  So they haven't fallen all the way.

Glitch?  Probably.  There's no way out, so they wouldn't path there deliberately. [shrug] 

But it's funny as hell to watch. 

Wish I could build one that worked the other way...  an express elevator in which a dwarf walks in at the bottom and appears at the top of my Goblin Liberation Tower.   

"Beam me up, McScotty!" :)

Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Teleporter
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 11:18:21 am »

Can you give us a diagram? This would make for a great "welcome" for a gobbo siege:

"No dwarvez in sight, boss" "There haz to be a fort around here..." *zap* (20 champion hammer dwarves appear out of nowhere.*  :o "Ye just HAD t' say it..."
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 01:43:37 pm »

From what is being described...
Side view
W.>.W
W.X.W
W.<.W
Goes to:
W.>.W
W._.W
W...W

Edit:Actually I wasn't thinking straight when I wrote this, so it said top down instead of side.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 12:19:05 pm by Talion »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 07:40:06 pm »

0 0
___
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 07:51:52 pm »

From what is being described...

Code: [Select]
Top down view
W.>.W
W.X.W
W.<.W
Goes to:
W.>.W
W._.W
W...W
And where did they appear?

PS :: Use the Teletype tags instead of the code tags.

PPS :: Is this an accurate side view?

« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 08:01:52 pm by Foa »

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 05:56:22 am »

Talion has it.

The dwarves were appearing on the tile where the bottom of the stairwell used to be.

It was definitely a "temporary glitch," as after exiting the game and restarting it's not happening anymore.  Pity.

Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)