Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An idea for a game  (Read 1075 times)

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An idea for a game
« on: May 19, 2009, 10:12:50 pm »

recently, i just got this idea for a forum game. Basically you're an alchemist who has recently heard of some more alchemists. you're worried these other alchemists might try to steal your secrets/discoveries and use them for their own personal gain or something like that. basically you use your alchemical skills to make stuff like golems, rocks that give you a birds-eye view of the landscape Etc. in order to steal all the other alchemists philosopher's stones and destroy them. I'm just having trouble figuring out how i want the mechanics to work, like letting the players narrate their actions without giving the other players an advantage in knowing about everything that went on there. I'm also unsure of how many units to allow the players like weather or not to allow the players to raise army's, squads, or just individual creatures. I'm also not sure how fantastic the setting should be like weather or not to include mystical creatures like dwarfs and elves and such. im also not certain of how i want to manage resources and how many types, and how many i want to make the creations take and how easy it is to gt certain resources. could my fellow bay 12 members help me with this?
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: An idea for a game
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 10:36:23 pm »

Hmm... I don't know. There's not really a way to narrate without having them visible (Or at least no point.)

This game sounds very complicated. Try not to make it so. It'll get abandoned after a few turns or something terrible. Start simple and make it more complicated.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 10:36:54 pm »

Well, you could work on the honour system. Cover secret informations with individual spoilers and have no editing rule. Or you could make it so that nothing can be targeted unless it is seen, then you could make a reveal stone that lets you choose something to see, so that there would be no secrets, but having something technically hidden could still offer advantages...
Or you could just have a host who keeps all the secrets, but then you need a host, personally, I would try to avoid secrets and randomness in a forum game...

You should define everything, adding dwarves and ents and dragons and gods would be fine, but you would need to go to the effort of defining them all, or give everyone rules for defining their own, and they need to be vaguely balanced or everyone will just abuse them, so have them affect everyone equally or go to great lengths to make them all useful or none of them useful...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 10:38:35 pm »

You'd probably want to start by saying, "I want {Insert game item} in this game!", then make some rules.

Then, you make some rules in other areas.

Just to start, I'm assuming the players are the alchemists.  The secrecy factor can be balanced in two ways:

1) Almighty GM way: Everyone PM's the GM with their actions, who resolves them and makes an uberpost of everything.

2) Lazy GM way: Players post what they want to do in-forum, then the GM resolves it.
  • If you want to be fair, find a system where the order rotates, like a list of rotating order, or ruling that players make their turns in order of power, so the less powerful players can respond to the actions of the most powerful.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 11:07:51 pm »

Hmm... I don't know. There's not really a way to narrate without having them visible (Or at least no point.)

This game sounds very complicated. Try not to make it so. It'll get abandoned after a few turns or something terrible. Start simple and make it more complicated.
thanks for the tip. I'll try to work on simplifying it.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.