Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF Appraiser (Calculator program)  (Read 1248 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
DF Appraiser (Calculator program)
« on: May 16, 2009, 04:41:47 pm »

If you didn't start w/ any dwarf with the appraiser skill, you have to train one.  To train an appraiser (might not kick in until next time), <v>iew the items.  It's a pain, but consider it a job.

(If that's your "farmer", then you need to turn off 100% of their jobs, make sure they are your "broker" (in the <n>obles screen), make sure you have used <q, r> on the Trade Depot to request a Trader there, and wait.  You can switch who's trading now.)

For a good idea of base values, you can start a brand new game, "prepare carefully", and make a note of the cost of items at embark.

These are all standard quality items - look up "value" in the wiki for multipliers for diff materials and qualities.
I believe I have worked on a Microsoft Excel program that does just that. And I'm sure it works on OpenOffice as well.

You can estimate the total value of a room and even items (on separate worksheets), and what kind it is (totaling the item values and room size/quality). It's in it's prototype phase still; but so I can distribute it for review, where's a good place to upload it? I'll provide a link afterward.

Seeing as this could be a possible project, I'll start a new thread once I have it in.

It still has quite a bit to go through, but it has the essentials to still be useful enough. Assistance in making the program better would be appreciated.

Here are the features it has so far:
  • Room appraiser- Insert amount of spaces it takes up, either via (floor) area or # of (floor) cells used
  • It also utilizes the wiki's calculations of material value and the engraving modifiers to further calculate room value. Showing both base and full values on the same page.
  • Item appraiser- again, utilizing the wiki's content, you can calculate the value of items, using base value (item type etc.), material modifiers, and quality modifiers.
  • Total room value- the sum of the room floor (area) value, the wall (perimeter) value, and the items inside (you must insert the values) are totaled, and you get the estimated class of room given. (Meager, standard, royal, etc.)
  • Farming Irrigation Calculator- So you won't have to do all the math of getting the area right. There are both ways of calculating the irrigation area you want/need. Including the door cell being used, just specify the amounts necessary.

All blue cells can be input. Not all the math is entirely accurate (like stray cells and whatnot), and it could use a little cleaning up.
I'm feeling lazy, and didn't want to re-type it all again.

Here's the link to the program: DF-Appraisal Calculator

Opinions and assistance is welcome.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: DF Appraiser (Calculator program)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 07:19:24 pm »

I am taking Comp Apps in school (ah, my brain! It's SoooooooOoOoOo boring.  BORING!).

I may be able to help.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned