Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Royal Bedrooms  (Read 860 times)

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Royal Bedrooms
« on: May 17, 2009, 11:46:09 pm »

So in my current fort, I was mining out bedrooms and I hit a couple veins of really valuable stuff. After smoothing and engraving a 2x2 room of native platinum, with just a worthless wooden bed, I end up with a royal bedroom.
A royal 2x2 bedroom. Completely absurd.
The other 11 bedrooms are all grand. Same size, same crappy beds. Only they aren't made of native platinum.

Anyway, I have a quick question. Do loose rocks on the floors of bedrooms affect the value?

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Bedrooms
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 11:50:56 pm »

pretty sure they don't.

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 10:20:24 am »

Do loose rocks on the floors of bedrooms affect the value?

I don't think it's the loose rock, but I did create a tomb, for my Dungeon Master, recently, that had a vein of silver shot right through it. I smoothed the walls and floor and it was considered a "Grand Mausoleum", before I engraved the silver "ends", as that was more for just aesthetics ;]

The tomb is pictured to the far left and although there is no loose stone present, the silver vein is still visible and I believe added to the value of the room itself.

I didn't give it much thought, until I saw your thread, but perhaps you are on to something. I guess it's possible that the dwarves could "smooth" better than others, based on skill, similar to when they engrave, but I think your theory is more on track.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 10:21:55 am by burned »
DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 10:38:44 am »

I know for a fact that constructed floors at least, add to room value.  My melee military tombs usually get refloored with 1 tile of precious metal per kill. Particularly successful ones typically end up with pretty kickass tombs.

I'm not sure if regular floors count however.  I imagine it would be easy to check just by having the economy on, renting out an unsmoothed room.  Checking the price, then smoothing the floor and checking again.  I hear it takes a sec for rent to update tough so might have to wait for a bit after.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 10:40:45 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 12:15:55 pm »

Yep, regular floors and wall count towards a rooms value. The base value is then multiplied by the value of what they are made of so places that used to contain precious metal veins are high value. If I remember correctly the value multiplier is also applied to any engravings which is what sent the value of the op's room through the roof.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"